r154 manual to 1jz auto swap - question on clutch and flywheel

Persona

Aug 15, 2009
Warm bench
hi folks, right know im in the process of buying all the parts to mate my r154 to the auto 1jz in my sup.

i need recommendations on clutches that can handle 500rwhp (max) for as little money as possible :D are the spec clutches any good like stage 4 on ebay for ~$500?

flywheel I think i'll go with the xtd lightweight flywheel thats on ebay? is it good, anyone using this?

and last the bellhousing copy from taiwan. Seems that they only got positive feedback for it so far so should be fitting and working like the original bh, no?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would only use the oem bell housing as well.

As for xtd, there garbage. Some guys like them and dont mind changing them out when they break. As for me i hate pulling transmission with the engine in the car and no lift and trans jack.

Persona

Aug 15, 2009
Warm bench
ok 2 things: i chose the taiwan copy because shipping is free - all things have to be shipped to europe which is a lot for such a big item. that makes it maybe 50% cheaper for me than the oem one.

second: yea i know xtd, f1 racing ect are crap eg. do crap clutches. i dont want a clutch from them though, i want their flywheel. so my question is: is their flywheel good quality and does someone use it/has on hand experience with it? please no guessing

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Cheeping out in flywheel and bellhousing setups can cause failure. When a flywheel fails on a high revving motor, VERY bad things can happen. And thats no guess. Cheep out somewhere else.

Another thing, have you ever seen a quality flywheel have small mounting tabs for the PP? No.