R154 Hard Shifting

Viggs

Slow t67 1j
Jan 28, 2008
Buffalo
I just rebuilt my trans with new bearings, synchros and all the marlin crawler goodies that are offered for it and it is still difficult to shift. It's not that it grinds or that the shifter won't move, it just takes a good amount of effort to "pop" it into each gear. It wasn't horrible with the stock shifter but with the Nashman short throw on there now it's considerably more difficult due to the loss of leverage from the shorter stick. I really don't wan't to have to put a 3' shifter on my car so I was wondering if anyone has played around with the shift fork shaft locking ball springs to ease the "popping" effect of each gear. For those of you that don't know what those are, they are the little springs and balls that are behind the torX plugs in the intermediate plate....visible from the outside of the trans.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
if the rebuild is fresh you need to break it in... let the synchros and gears, shift forks, etc all wear into each other so that it's a little more smooth. the transmission is going to be naturally notchy though as it's a R series transmission, most of which were used in trucks IIRC...

but yes, MT90 is good gear oil. but make sure to change the oil out periodically so that you can rid the trans of the metal shavings that are formed from the break in process...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Viggs;1626312 said:
I just rebuilt my trans with new bearings, synchros and all the marlin crawler goodies that are offered for it and it is still difficult to shift. It's not that it grinds or that the shifter won't move, it just takes a good amount of effort to "pop" it into each gear. It wasn't horrible with the stock shifter but with the Nashman short throw on there now it's considerably more difficult due to the loss of leverage from the shorter stick. I really don't wan't to have to put a 3' shifter on my car so I was wondering if anyone has played around with the shift fork shaft locking ball springs to ease the "popping" effect of each gear. For those of you that don't know what those are, they are the little springs and balls that are behind the torX plugs in the intermediate plate....visible from the outside of the trans.

you have to break in the tyranny mostly the scyrones have alot of tooth to them at start

and wiht every short shifter it take more effort to shift and mixed wiht short shaft makes it harder

if it is really troublesome try just putting in a longer top shaft tell it breaks in it is common size and can be found at home depo

ps how low do you have it cut down ?

i run mine just about at full hight close ot my streeing wheel works flaws less even wiht my brand new tranny

and one last qestion the new lower plate pin's are in line with the stock ones right becaus ei had recall on the frist 15 i sold because of my stuiped muchinest fuck up