R154 Clutch Issues

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
So I am have a problem. Every time I press the clutch pedal, I hear a ticking noise. I put the car on the lift, had someone press the clutch pedal to the floor and I can hear it is coming from the clutch. You can actually feel the click on the pedal.

When releasing the clutch pedal, you can hear a knocking noise but goes away when the clutch pedal is all the way out.

When I Start the car, it goes it in all gears fine and no grinding.

The clutch is a used one, a clutchmaster six puck with a pressure plate that says Toyota on it, so I am guessing it was modified? I did not change the throw out bearing or washers. It did seem fine. It is the one that I bought the car with.

Pilot bearing was replaced.

Any ideas?

spooln30

Sep 28, 2006
milwaukee,WI
It's normal. It's just clutch chatter. If you were to have a double or triple disc it would be much louder. My ACT 6 puck sprung disc does the same thing. No worries bro.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
No no. This is not the chatter from a ACT six puck. I know what that sounds like as my 2JZ car has a ACT six puck.

This is a Toyota plate, with a six puck disk and it is making a noise. It is clicking down by the tranny area everytime I press the clutch pedal all the way.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Any number of things. Throwout bearing assembly asembled wrong (common), something to do with the actual fork and it's hinge, slave cylinder issues, pressure plate, etc

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I am not sure about the TB as I didn't check it from when I had it out. I have all new clips and washers, I will post pictures of each piece and you can say how it goes. I will label it A...B...C...D....ect.

I spoke to Ian about it and he said to check the pressure plate, as a finger might be broken.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a question.

I got around to dropping the gearbox, and some shins were missing. I order a shim kit from DriftMotion a while back and bought a new stock clutch.

On one side of the hub, you have a large flimsy shim, a flat washer and then a big c-clip.

The other side, flywheel side has a smaller flimsy shim, a washer and then a smaller c clip.

That is how we put it.

I start up and as the hub is spinning it vibrates the shifter fork. You can see the fork shaking along with the slave cylinder. I took out the slave and left the fork on and started the car, the fork just flew out.

It wasn't doing that before so now I am clueless on what to look for.

New throw out bearing, pressure plate, disk and washers with c-clips were used.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind I'm going off memory here, but here's a terrible Paint drawing.

p1757806_1.jpg

Also, if the fork is falling out, it's probably missing the retaining spring (31234A in the pic)

MCG204A.gif