R154 Assembly Issue

xCxHxRxIxSx

Mar 4, 2011
Oakville, Ontario
Hi, I'm on the home stretch of my R154 rebuild, but now I'm at a standstill. I was hoping to have the thing done this weekend, but when I was installing the shift forks and shafts I ran into an issue.

I have 3 and 4 shift fork shafts installed (with the corresponding forks and lock pins/balls), but the #1 shift fork shaft won't line up with the #1 shift fork. It seems that the top of the reverse shift arm and the #1 shift fork are coming into contact causing the fork to become misaligned with it's corresponding shaft. I tried loosening the reverse shift arm bracket bolts to give me some room to play but it's of no use. The only way to get the shaft into the #1 fork is to engage 1st gear, but it can't be disengaged because of the contact between the reverse arm and shift fork.

I've read and re-read the factory repair manual and I am unable to find any mistakes in my assembly procedure. It would be of great help if anyone could lend some advice or past experiences on this issue.

Thanks,
Chris

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
Hey, I read the first post and got lost half way threw, I thought i would be able to help.
Notice to any probs such as this, Pic's is as good as a 1000 words.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Said he found the prob in the second post.

Pics would have helped in the first post tho.