R154 1st gear problems

grimreefer

Aug 13, 2011
209 CA
Hey forum, once again I seem to have an issue.. So my 1jz vvti swaps finishing up, just doing the intercooler pipes and exhaust, but when I drove it on the tow truck and into my garage I noticed my 1st gear doesnt want to stay in.. I should mention I was driving without intercooler pipes due to the extremely short distance, so it was just rich. I'm gonna try her again once the intercooler pipes are welded up, but when I drove out of the shop to the tow truck it didnt want to stay in 1st for more than 15 seconds, and sometimes I'd have to try to jam it into gear to get it back into first.

I should mention I got this tranny directly after it was ripped out of an MK3 with 140k miles, but second gear was so perfect and 1st was so bad Im speculating it shouldnt be so black and white. I replaced the flywheel and clutch for a chromoly FW and 6 puck ceramic clutch.

Is there any common swap mistakes or tranny issues that could cause this? or should I consider I got ripped off and try to rebuild the bitch? I have a mechanic who will gladly take a look but any info will be a great help..

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Pull the shift lever and make sure the bushing is installed on the bottom of it and the lever fits into a hat bushing, If any of those are worn and it causes a sloppy fit it will have a tendency to pop out in first gear.

grimreefer

Aug 13, 2011
209 CA
Ok, because Im pretty sure the transmission I got is good, Ive seen the car it came out of drive before and it seemed fine, so Im thinking maybe a mistake was made in the install.. Also everyone tells me these trannies are pretty bulletproof i guess lolz

grimreefer

Aug 13, 2011
209 CA
Well I hope this can give some i sight on "how bad" butits difficult, but not impossible to enter first, but once in gear you can hold it in place easily, but if you dont, it almost immedeately starts to glide into nuetral, and once slidout of nuetral most of the time it wont go back in without some force and a nasty grind on the way in like its not engaging into 1st all the way, although all this is based on 3 drives that were all less than 150 feet w/o the ic pipes, but that should be ireleveant as long as were talking tranny ssues