R-154 Leaks

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
My R-154 leaks from the back area, around the area where the drive shaft meets the trans. I just replaced the drive shaft/rear output shaft seal on the trans and it still leaks.

My question is, where else could the leak be coming from? I looked everything over when I took the drive shaft off and I did see a little fluid on the part where the shifter area is at the top of the trans. Can the trans fluid make it up that far if I have the correct amount of fluid in the trans?

Some history on the trans : I did rebuild the trans last summer by myself. I also checked the fluid level and made sure it wasn't too full. I did notice about 1/2 a quart came out the weep hole when I checked the level. But now its leveled off.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Volvospy

Sep 9, 2009
Northern VA
I have the same prolem and I did the same thing you did. There are actually some seals at the top cause leaking. I'm waiting for the parts from Toyota. New info will be updated soon.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
OK, your seals up top are leaking? Like the ones that go around where the shifter is? Let me know which ones they are. And also, how does the tans fluid make its was up there, is there that much fluid pressure in the trans?

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Look at the yoke on the end of the driveshaft that goes into the transmission (through the seal you are talking about). Mine was a little corroded, and I had to replace it to fix it (an excuse for me to go one-piece). When this was leaking it would spray transmission fluid all over the underbody. You could probably just get the front half (after the carrier bearing) and swap it if this is the case.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I did look at the yoke and tried to find any reason why it would not seal. There was a very small mark all the way around the yoke where the seal looks like it wore a spot but i could barley see it and it was not deep enough for me to even be able to feel it. I didn't notice any corrosion or any kind of other worn spots on it that would allow it to leak through.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
jmcboost;1471259 said:
I did look at the yoke and tried to find any reason why it would not seal. There was a very small mark all the way around the yoke where the seal looks like it wore a spot but i could barley see it and it was not deep enough for me to even be able to feel it. I didn't notice any corrosion or any kind of other worn spots on it that would allow it to leak through.

This caused mine to leak transmission fluid ALL over the underbody of the car:

driveshaft_06.JPG

Is there any fluid in the bottom of the "cup" that surrounds that area?

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
No there wasn't any there. But I'm so paranoid about where it's coming from that I told myself that it had all just dripped out of that area because the car sat for a week before I got under it to see where it was coming from. So i think it's coming from above the tail shaft area. I'm going to pull the engine and trans in a month and then I'll replace all of the seals and see what happens.

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
jmcboost;1465861 said:
My R-154 leaks from the back area, around the area where the drive shaft meets the trans.
Any help would be great. Thanks

From reading this post, I too have similar symptoms. It looks like she's leaking from where the shaft meets the tranny. I'm posting a pic from the TSRM, and am wondering if what I have pointed to is a seal which comes out with the shaft. I'm hoping it is. Can someone please verify, or does the seal stay inside the tranny, and do I have to remove the tranny to get to this seal? I'm sure its leaking from here.

I just had a shop install a clutch, (among other things) and since then, she's been leaking gearbox oil (Redline) profusely. Ive never changed a clutch, but I'm sure they had to drop the DS, so is it possible they re-used the seal? (No, I'm not taking it back to them). I'd like to fix it myself. Tks. again for any help.

Edit: hvyman has clarified the issue for me -(tks!). I have removed the pic. from the TSRM to avoid confusion. What I was thinking was the seal is a dust deflector and is not the seal. The seal can be found in hvyman's link (post #9) and the TSRM further describes access to this seal can be done (as hvyman stated) once the driveshaft has been removed. No need to remove the tranny to get to this seal.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=MT&P=73

Thank you.

Last edited:

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
I removed the yolk, and can see the seal, but cannot remove it. TSRM says to pry it out with a screwdriver, but in my picture, there is this gear which is making it very difficult to get to the seal. Can the gear be removed from this position to get to the seal? Tks. for any help!
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The black cup can be removed for seal removal and instillation. Just tap it with a hammer.
Then the screwdriver will work for removal.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
mkiiichip;1573524 said:
The black cup can be removed for seal removal and instillation. Just tap it with a hammer.
Then the screwdriver will work for removal.

I wish I knew how to take that off when I did my seal! I ended up buying a seal puller from autozone to do the job. Keep in mind you'll need something to set the new seal in place evenly. I didn't have anything handy to do it evenly, so I just slowly eased it in from side to side.

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
Thank you everyone for your help. Got the seal in today - never knew about the "seal puller" tool - very cool. I didn't get the dust deflector (aka "black cup" off), bec. the seal puller was sufficient enough. Note - this was my first time working in this area of the car, and after reading the TSRM in the "propeller shaft" section, the TSRM states to remove the 4 bolts/nuts attaching the DS to the diff if one wants to remove the DS. If you are simply trying to replace the extension housing seal, then this step is unnecessary. Simply drop the 2 center bearing bolts and the DS will drop down, and you can pull the yolk out just as described in the TSRM. After replacing the seal, insert the yolk bolt up the center bearing (don't forget the spacers that go with the bolt), and make sure the center line of the center bearing is perpendicular with the DS as stated in the TSRM.

Took the car for a brief spin and did not see any leaks!!

Thank you all once again with a special shoutout to Cliff, X-Man and Howard!