Quick TPS Question

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
My TPS was bad so I switched it out with one that's good but it's a little bit different...
The thing I'm worried about the most is the numbers. On the old one, there are two lines of numbers the first one reading: 89452-14050, the second: 198500-0240. The one that works looks a little bit different, the face of it is a polished steel cap instead of black plastic and the numbers are 89452-14051, 198500-0240.

I'm assuming that the one that works is simply a newer one (perhaps off of a Post 89) and the differing number is just a part number to accommodate the new model.

Will this new TPS be ok to use in place of the broken one?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just don't want my car to blow up or anything so... I figured it was safer to ask than not to.

(Plug for WTB post: ) I also broke the wiring harness for the TPS so If you've got one you'd like to get rid of... :biglaugh:

Thanks for the help in advance.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Dragk913 said:
I'm not sure about the numbering, however, if the TPS is from a post 89, it will not work on a pre 89. The prongs that connect to the throttle body are in different places.

Well I'm not positive it's from a post 89... It has the 4 prongs straight up and down...

This is a picture of the old one but the pins are the same, and I'm not getting any codes now (HOORAY!) So I (maybe incorrectly) am assuming that it works as far as the pins being in the right places...

2478126_57_full.jpg

PS: Can these things be rebuilt? Is my old non-working TPS scrap now?

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Dragk913 said:
I'm not sure about the numbering, however, if the TPS is from a post 89, it will not work on a pre 89. The prongs that connect to the throttle body are in different places.

That's incorrect, there is no pre-89/89+ specific change. It's a lot more complicated than that and different between N/A and Turbo as well.

As long as the TPS fits your throttle body, you should be fine. :)

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Jeff Lange said:
That's incorrect, there is no pre-89/89+ specific change. It's a lot more complicated than that and different between N/A and Turbo as well.

Excellent. Thanks for the help from everyone!

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
Jeff Lange said:

Are you sure?
Because I have a TPS that came off of an 86.5/87 N/A and a TPS that came off a 1990 N/A and they are different.

I even checked the TPS's to make sure their springs hadn't stretched - making them look different.

[Also, the owner of the 86.5 is a highly qualified mechanic;)]

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Does that counter what I said? Nope ;).

I've written change lists before, but don't feel like looking it all up again.

They did change, just when and for what models varies. Not all Supras changed TPS style for 1989.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
throttlebodies when through different changes as well (there are quite a few different ones)

one of the rare areas of the 7M that can be a bit of a bitch with crossover parts...