Quick rebuild question

kueves87

Oct 18, 2009
tucson
Hey guys its been a long time since I've posted here as life catches up to you and what not, but recently my dads 89t spun a bearing. So i broke it all down and had a machine shop completely rebuild and resurface the short block. Now my question is, if I had the head resurfaced a few years ago and it hasn't overheated since doing the mhg back then, do i need to have the head resurfaced as well? can i just clean it up really well and put a new mhg on? or do they warp over time whether or not the car over heats? its a bone stock 89t and i plan on running a 2mm stopper type Titan hg. Thanks in advance for advice, it feels good to be getting back in the game.

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
You need to check it for flatness with a straight edge and go from there. The cylinder head surface must be clean before checking it. Toyota gives you a spec for warpage that is acceptable. I have replaced a headgasket without resurfacing again after only a few thousand miles, but it wasn't because it was blown. It was other issues that required head removal. You could also just have the machine shop check it and they could tell you if it needs a surface.

kueves87

Oct 18, 2009
tucson
Yeah I'm only doing the rebuild because he spun a rod. The car is a weekend driver and he did blow the hg back in 2008, but since then he's only put a few thousand miles on the fresh head and hg. I figure since it hasn't over heated and hasn't had any real hard driving I could get away with not resurfacing the head, as I've removed it as an assembly with both manifolds still bolted up. I'll check it with a straight edge and make sure nothing's out of Tsrm spec, though It's been a while since I've had to clean the surface of a head, is there something you'd recommend for cleaning it up nice before checking for straightness?