Quick Q: How to remove stock oil filter?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I have a pair of cotton gloves with rubber coating on the palms for this kind of thing. The rubber grip really helps you hold on to a filter.

One time i couldnt budge a filter on my bike, threw the gloves on and it came right off.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
yesssss!!! Got it! Woohoo, I've never felt so proud and at the same time stupid in my life lol :D I've used my sisters some wrench which she use for her horse (dont ask me for what, I dont like horses and I dont know a sh** about them :D) and just pulled it off.
Thanks for tips ;)

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I have to lol. I have no problem getting the oil filter off my GTE, but it sounds like it's a real pita for a lot of people. What's funny is that I fought like hell to get my rear knock sensor off/on/connected/disconnected and every time I posted on that, everybody else sounded like it should've been easier. Maybe my joints are all backwards or something. :)

btw, I will definitely try the sandpaper trick. Fram gets knocked down for quality a lot, but I sure loved the abrasive coating they put on the end. Sandpaper should do the same thing on a better filter.

Dr Evil

No gun required
Aug 31, 2005
uk
Alternatively you could use the K&N oil filters which have have a hex on the base of the filter which makes removal very easy.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Dr Evil said:
Alternatively you could use the K&N oil filters which have have a hex on the base of the filter which makes removal very easy.
[IMG ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/supramickey/kn_oil_filters.jpg[/IMG]

My fiancee's brother got one of those but we could get the socket over the end... There's just not enough clearance around the oil filter, if I recall correctly.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
swaq said:
My fiancee's brother got one of those but we could get the socket over the end... There's just not enough clearance around the oil filter, if I recall correctly.

You need to invest in some ratcheting wrenchs it sounds like, those things have saved me so many times. Even a simple crecent wrench should have been easy enough to use on the filter to loosen it.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
iwannadie said:
You need to invest in some ratcheting wrenchs it sounds like, those things have saved me so many times. Even a simple crecent wrench should have been easy enough to use on the filter to loosen it.

We just had a socket set and the socket that he bought to fit the filter. I forget the exact size, but you'd need a pretty large wrench to get around it. I'm pretty sure we don't have any regular crescent wrenches in that size lying around.

1jzdreamer

Dec 3, 2006
Arkansas
To get it off... if all else fails you can always hammer a phillips screw driver through it and use it to get leverage, but thats gonna spill oil everywhere...

When putting a new one on this is what I do:
Dip the gasket of the new filter in some engine oil, then tighten it as tight as I can by hand, then back it off 1/4 of a turn.
swaq said:
We just had a socket set and the socket that he bought to fit the filter. I forget the exact size, but you'd need a pretty large wrench to get around it. I'm pretty sure we don't have any regular crescent wrenches in that size lying around.
Um... crescent wrenches adjust.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
As others have said, when installed properly they usually come off by hand.

If not, I found this oil filter wrench based on a coil spring somewhere in the bottom of one of my father's toolboxes long ago.

http://item.express.ebay.com/Vehicl...riesQQadnZAutomotiveQ20ToolsQQcmdZExpressItem

Then of course use the "oil filter condom" trick we figured out on the SOGI list many years ago. Loosen the filter until just before the seal breaks then put a ziplock bag around it. Now continue to remove the filter (yes it's possible to turn the filter through the bag even when coated with oil). Just be ready to catch it when it hits the last thread. Carefully maneuver it out from the car and turn it upside down on top of your oil pan to drain for 24 hrs, zip it closed and toss it.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I can usually always get them off by hand if they're not at a very awkward angle. The only ones I seem to have trouble with are the ones that are fresh from the dealer(they seem to torque these things on) and the Fram filters with the coarse end on them, the person who previously changed it seems that they need to get it as tight as possible because of the added grip.

When I first got my car, I had to use the screwdriver and hammer resort... but it hasn't been a problem ever since.