Quick Code 51 question

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Guys,

Today I was going through my car checking some sensors (TPS) with my multimeter and for shits and giggles I checked my codes. I decided to see if I could get code 51 pressing the gas (verifying my check on the TPS) and it worked perfectly.

Since i was in a code 51 mood I decided to press the A/C button to make the code come on as well, and unfortunately the light above the button lights up but the A/C button is not tripping code 51 .I thought my a/c didn't work because of leaky freon (low pressure switch) and just bought all the O-rings and a new reciever drier and was about to replace them. last spring when i bought the car it had no freon in it and I had it re-charged last year so this is what lead me to that conclusion when it didnt work when i took it out of storage this year. But now it appears my A/C switch is not working or at least not sending a signal to the ECU since I cant get code 51 to illuminate. Is this preventing the A/C from working?

Now I am not very proficient in electronics and have yet to check the diagrams in the manual. Has anyone else had this problem and do you have any first places to check for this? I assume that my A/C may be fine and i just have to fix the switch, but I don't understand why the light above the switch works (wiring diagram I'm sure will show me how but haven't checked them yet). Any thoughts or help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

EDIT - JJ and Jdub I need your help!

Last edited: