Quick beginner question

I

insomnia

Hi guys,

I'm contemplating on purchasing an Mk3 supra in the near future and I had some easy questions I hope someone can help me answer. I want to do a 7MGTE swap with whatever I'll have, so I'd like to ask this:
- Will a 7MGTE engine fit into any/all of the MK3 bays, including non-turbo 7mge's
- How much does labour typically cost for a swap
- Do you suggest I get a worn supra with 7MGTE and just replace the engine or get a 7MGE and replace it with the turbo engine (turbos with low mileage are kind of hard to find in Ontario, Canada)

Thank guys!

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
well if you can pick up a cheap one rebuild it or drop in a jdm 7mgte, also ask on the forum here somebody probably is selling a motorset. I personally would stick with the 7mgte pop on a metal headgasket and instantly up the boost to 15lbs. Of course it all depends on what kind of horsepower you want, but 15psi would probably give you in the range of 320 whp. Maybe around 380 hp at the crank. Instant fun :) As far as the engine fitting in the mk3 bodies(87-92), i don't believe you would have any problem.

I

insomnia

That sounds good! I've found some nice 7MGTE engines at www.jdmsource.ca for $750 USD which I think is quite nice. Still wondering what the labour will cost.

Also, one very dumb question. I know how turbochargers/superchargers work, but how are they "activated"? Is there a turbo timer, or a button used to turn it on, what roles does a boost gauge have in monitoring pressure?

Thanks!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I got my jdm from them (jdmsource.ca) and my buddy got a rotary for his RX7 at the same time. Both motors came super clean, my harness had been cut, his was complete, so you may get one with the complete harness (and just run it through the firewall) or a cut one and have to connect everything in the bay. Either way is fairly simple, plugs will only go one place anyway. :) I just wanted to leave some good feedback for JDMSource, can't really help too much with the technical questions. I'm a newb myself, well, with the MKIII's atleast.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Hey insomnia Iknow what you mean. I looked for a while to find a good cheap turbo 5spd and there's none in ottawa. The white one in toronto sold fast for like $7k but it's still listed. It's only got 149,000km. I decided to first buy a 7mgte and rebuild it for a couple months, plus put on a turbo upgrade kit and mhg and stuff, then buy a supra with broken engine on the forums or something. I think you should do whatever you are comfortable with. If you have time to play around, then do what i'm gona do. If you want a car to drive next week, buy a good condition supra. Our problem in canada is they are all asking too much :cool:
eric

ps. What part of ottawa are you in, i'm in kanata.

I

insomnia

Hey there Stretch, I'm actually not in Ottawa, I live in the GTA (oakville) but good to know some other Canadians here :)

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
insomnia said:
That sounds good! I've found some nice 7MGTE engines at www.jdmsource.ca for $750 USD which I think is quite nice. Still wondering what the labour will cost.

Also, one very dumb question. I know how turbochargers/superchargers work, but how are they "activated"? Is there a turbo timer, or a button used to turn it on, what roles does a boost gauge have in monitoring pressure?

Thanks!

first of all in labor are you doing this swap or are you having someone else like a shop put it in.

on the how do turbo's work. well if you know how they work howstuffworks.com you know that the exhaust makes a little propeller spin, that propeller is connected to another one that takes your intake air and compresses it then shoots it into your intake. in order for turbo to compress air your rpms have to get higher so that your exhaust moves fast enough to spin that turbine. so bassicaly arround 2-3k rpm on a stock car the exhaust will flow fast enough to make the propeller compress intake air.

the turbo timer doesnt realy do anything with the turbo directly. all a turbo timer does is leave your motor running for like a minute after you take out the key and lock the doors and walk away. it just shuts off the car later so you can leave and just let it do its thing. the reason is the car has to idle after being driven so that the hot oil doesnt get stuck inside the turbo and cooler fresher oil can get in there while idling.

boost guage. well its so you know how much boost you pushing. roughly 1psi in our engine =+11 hp. so that way you know if your pushing 2psi or 20. its good to know otherwise you'll start blowing head gaskets and seals and what not.

I

insomnia

Ah, I see! Looking to get the swap done by a shop probably, any idea on average price? Also, is it possible to adjust/set the turbo so that it only turns on after a certain amount of RPM? Great information. Thanks for the reply

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
No you cant really set the turbo to ''kick in'' at any range, it goes with you exhaust flow. When your exhaust comes out of you engine, it makes a turbin spin like a fan would if you blew on it, that turbin is related to another turbin that has the job of ''sucking'' in air from you Air filter. and so more air comes in, there for more air comes out, thats when you feel the ''boost'' of the turbo, before the ''boost'' kicks in, the turbo dosnt really accumulate pressure, thats what we call turbo lag....lag cause it takes time.
Thats the real basics of a turbo. But read up on turbos dude, go on google.com and just write ''how turbos work'' great graphics that show you the air flow, cooling in intercooler and such shit. All i can say...is read read read, and i thing anyone will tell you the same thing.

As far as i know for prices in Montreal, its 1200$ for the engine, and 200$ for the install..JDM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm check this basics turbo works..easier to understand with graphics, have fun

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
yeah you can control when the turbo spools up, with your right foot!

where are you located? i can do the swap for you for a good price if you are local to me.

I

insomnia

Lagged: Located in Toronto, you look to be new york?

Thanks guys, great info.