Questions on shaft play

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
I have a 91 gte lex/550 57trim full 3 inch exhaust catless, full flowing oil cooler setup using a filter adapter that takes a v8 Chevy truck filter, German Castrol always used. Was putting a new silicone accordion pipe on today and decided to check shaft play. The shaft play is not horrible but I'd say maybe a 1/8 inch of shaft play up and down and in an out. The turbo was a brand new rebuild from driftmotion 5000 miles ago, and is normally set up at 12lbs but has been ran at 15 a handful of times. Now what could be causing the shaft play? Talking to my dad who has been building turbo motors forever, he thinks the oil is not thick enough, but reading all jdubs extensive information on oil I beg to differ; he won't listen considering he's a old schooler and is set in his ways. I'm just trying to figure out what's happening if anything. Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I went through 4 DM 57 turbo's. And there is a customers 57 trim rebuilt by DM that has been run at 15 psi for less than 1000 miles and already has enough shaft play to hit the housing. Your local to DM so just go there and ask for it to be replaced. If it happens again go a different route, Im glad I did.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Well here's my question, as long as a turbo is cooled and lubed properly, what should standard life be say running at 12psi? And what other options do I have devin?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Devin LeBlanc;1779308 said:
I went through 4 DM 57 turbo's. And there is a customers 57 trim rebuilt by DM that has been run at 15 psi for less than 1000 miles and already has enough shaft play to hit the housing. Your local to DM so just go there and ask for it to be replaced. If it happens again go a different route, Im glad I did.

The reason I will go with a 6266 this Winter....The turbo that comes with DM's kit is not the best in my opinion....

Let just say, I had a DM 57 and Albert's 57. DriftMotion's 57 had shaft play out the box and Albert's 57 had no play in any direction.

Don't get me wrong, Aaron has taken care of me when certain problems had happen BUT their turbos are not that good. Its okay at best but its his builder and seems to be a shit one to me....

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Something that is not a stock location turbo. Like a Garrett, precision, or Turbonetics.

What blow off valve are you running?

After going through 4 of them I went GT35R route with a .82 T3 housing.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Running a hks ssqv, I've got a way to get the bolt on turbonetics hifi for the 7m but is it completely bolt on like being able to use stock accordion hose lexafm and such. And thank you for such quick responses guys.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I say you should try Albert's 57 this Black Friday. You will not regret it. Just installed one and the customer is enjoying his car. I have it on 12 PSI right now and he says it's pretty fast, keep in mind, he is a older guy who is more about recreational fun than speed.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
After looking around and such I'd like to get a bolt on turbonetics, or sp, or boss and I have a hell of an item to trade so if you know anyone send em my way! But I really like the turbonetics.