Questions on Greasing Window Regulator

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
My windows have a little bit of a shake or chatter to them when they are being rolled up. It only happens when the window is about 3/4 of the way up. The passenger side is worse, and tends to chatter more when it is wet. I was thinking this is probably cause by the window regulator needing to be greased again with fresh grease after 26 years of use. In the TSRM it says to apply multi-purpose grease to the sliding surface and gear of the window regulator. I have a few simple questions I was hoping someone could help me out with.

What kind of grease would you recommend for this?
Can this be done by just taking off the door panel and pulling the plastic vapor cover back?

Any other tips or comments are certainly welcome.

Thanks!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Shin-etsu silicone grease is the good stuff. Buy it at your local Honda dealer.

Doing it properly requires removing the regulator (you want to regrease the motor too, right?)

Though it sounds more like you have a worn/broken part in there. Sadly they're not available separately from the regulator (though I'm sure someone could make them)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Thanks for the response. I'm hoping its not a broken part, I would rather not have to take the window out and mess with realigning it. I didn't know that the motor would need to be regreased. The TSRM doesn't even mention the motor.

Is it possible to get to the motor with just the door panel removed? What exactly would you grease on the motor?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There's a gearbox in it. While not as critical to grease as modern cheap and lightweight cable driven regulators, it's still a good idea.

Realigning isn't too hard and the only way to really clean the old grease out is to remove the assembly. Not a fun job, but worth the effort if you want windows that work like new.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Poodles;1962225 said:
There's a gearbox in it. While not as critical to grease as modern cheap and lightweight cable driven regulators, it's still a good idea.

Realigning isn't too hard and the only way to really clean the old grease out is to remove the assembly. Not a fun job, but worth the effort if you want windows that work like new.

Alright, thanks again for the info. I looked up that shin etsu silicone grease and it sounds like good stuff, I'll have to get some. I guess I'll have to take the door panels off and take a look in there and see how everything looks and if anything is broken. Hopefully I can get to this sometime soon. Its miserable to do just about anything on the car here during the day with the heat and humidity.