question on balancing

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
it was suggested to me that i have my crank balanced with the flywheel and clutch bolted up to it.
i was wondering how many of you guys have done this? is it common practice to have this done?
also, what happens when you replace the clutch and or flywheel in the future?

i'm only asking so many questions because i want to do this motor right this time.
thanks in advance............. kevin

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I don't think most people get their engines balanced. Even if you run aftermarket rods and pistons. I would not balance your rotating assembly. You are correct if the fact want happens down the road if you replace clutch or flywheel. Your Toyota crankshaft is balanced from the factory and if you machine the journals this should not effect balance. IMO. What was the root cause of your last failure. Dirt and improper cleaning of items back from machine shop failure to follow the TSRM to the letter is cause of "bad rebuilds". Make sure you understand the torque needed for each fastener. IE: You should know that 31 ft lbs. is way wrong for a 12mm bolt head or nut. If it shows a dab of fipg dlo it. If it show gasket alone don't put any sealer on them. Don't go away from what made the engines great in the first place. Except head bolt torque and use of head gasket. I only use the cheap HKS MLS and have had no failures. Some people say you can machine a rod after it has a bearing spin in the rod. I say replace the rod. I love the 7m platform and have driven lots of miles with them. Don't forget the budget busters. All new hoses I prefer the OEm toyota ones. Including all the PCV and accordian hose. New plug wires Yes alot of money but really needed. This is all IMO. Good luck.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Everything should be balanced.

By removing material you are making the crank shaft out of balance and it should then be re balanced. And balancing the eniter rotating assembly is a good thing.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
so i should balance the crank-flywheel-and clutch as one? won't it be out of balance if i ever change the flywheel or clutch in the future?
OR, do i balance the crank separately from the flywheel?
this is all new to me.
sorry for the questions

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can balance the crank with crank puley and fly wheel. Leave clutch off.

Also can get the rods and pistons weighed and balanced.

If you take it to a quality machine shop they should know what to do.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Yep, my engine builder wanted the crank pulley, flywheel and clutch pressure plate do balance the entire rotating assembly...