Question for you guys running a 2JZ clutch fan and 7M factory shroud.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
How close is the fan to the shroud? I'm thinking mine is too close because, under anything but light braking I can hear it hitting the shroud not hard but, enough that I can hear it.

I've already tried pulling the radiator back and custom mounting the radiator mounts and, am thinking now that the waterpump pulley that I am using isn't right for the setup. It's one of those from the generic aluminum sets (pic below) and I'm thinking I need a OEM TT waterpump pulley.

PULLEY-JZ.JPG

So before I go and order another pulley, I was wanting to find out if anyone else has had any fitment problems.

~Bryan

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
odd, mine sat too close to the waterneck but i did have mine pulled a little closer (the rad, see my brackets, for clearance for the intercooler pipe though)

mkivfan3.JPG

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
That is really wierd, it's gotta have something to do with the pulley. I defintely can see from your pic tissimo that I can/need to pull the shroud in a little closer to the rad, but my fan defintely sits way closer to the rad than your setup. I'll try to get pics tomorrow, the batteries in the camera decided to die tonight as soon as I walked out the garage.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
try to find yourself a GE fan blade, i had to put a couple washers on the clutch to space the blade out, but it sits plenty back, now i just need to find a shroud

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
mine fits fine. (2jzgte fan+clutch 7mgte shroud) i just hacked some of the a/c side off the shroud so my IC pipes would fit.

edit: i have the 2jz though :) not much of a fitment issue there i guess i have more room than tissimo did in that pic

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Tissimo is using a NA fan. The TT fan sits closer to the radiator to fit with the water neck. The NA fan sits closer to the engine because it doesn't have to clear the water neck. If you are using the 90+ factory mounts the fan will come close to the shroud and may hit. If you use the 98+ style mounts the fan doesn't move forward under hard braking. The Other way to do it, is to cut the water neck and move it a little bit back and use a NA fan, or notch the core support and lower support and move the radiator two inches to the front of the car. All of this will only work with OEM style radiators.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
I just can't win...I finally get a fan that cools worth a damn and now I have to cut my upper and lower radiator supports, and custom mount the radiator for it to not hit the shroud under braking.

If I'm going to go through all that I'm going to make it work with a big aluminum radiator as well.

It would be soooooooooooo nice if I could do ONE thing on this car and not have to do five other custom things along with it for it work properly....But I guess that's how it goes.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I bought it from a guy that had a 94TT that went electric? so who knows. I still have it though if you want it fstlane88? give me an offer

it worked fine, no issues, cept was just close. It used to touch the rad hose clamp, but it wore the fan down, haha.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
I'm really good friends with one of the local engine builders here and the thought occured to me....Could I have that pulley machined to gain some clearance?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
fstlane88;1015678 said:
I'm really good friends with one of the local engine builders here and the thought occured to me....Could I have that pulley machined to gain some clearance?

doubt you could do it enough to make a difference

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I have my 1j equipped with the DM pulley and I have the 2j-tt fan and clutch inside the 7m shroud and it seems just fine.. odd.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Dylan could you take pics of your fan in the upper part of the shroud? I'm curious to see how close the blades are.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
fstlane88;1016600 said:
Dylan could you take pics of your fan in the upper part of the shroud? I'm curious to see how close the blades are.

Absolutely.. I wont be able to post them til monday though, apoligies. It should help you out a bit none the less though.