Question for 1UZ Supra owners

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
Hey guys, i'm investigating a 1UZ swap into my 89 NA. I have a comprehensive parts list, and I know pretty much the whole story with performing the swap except for the wiring. A couple of questions directly relating to this:

How much of a bitch is the wiring?

Is it true that the SC400 Oil pan and Pickup will fit in a Supra body?

How reliable is it? Do you frequently run into issues relating to the swap, or is it fairly bulletproof? (I know the 1UZ is a tremendously bulletproof motor, arguably moreso than the "godlike" 2JZ)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Kevin

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
The following link has a pretty extensive section regarding the wiring and explains it a lot better than I could :).

http://www.lextreme.com/1uzfe_info.html

This also seems like a decent supra specific guide, but not as extensive as the first one.

http://www.lextreme.com/supra-swap.html

As far as I know, the SC400 sump will be fine (relatively speaking) in the supra (assuming it's the same as a soarer).

Reliability wise, from what I've read the 1UZ will keep going, and going, and going ;).

Good luck with the swap, take lots of pictures and keep an upto date build thread - I want to undertake a 1UZ build someday but not seeing the "step by step" process has put me off somewhat. Hopefully your build will be able to change that.

Again, Good Luck.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
well, we'll see. I'm a couple months off of starting the actual swap, but i'll do my best to at least document in words what i do, with hopefully at least a sprinkling of pics included. I'm currently in the research phase, although I know of a place local that has 6 or 7 complete 90-94 LS400's that i could get the drivetrain/ECU/harness/accessories for right around $600-700 for the whole shot. Then its a matter of sourcing the SC400 pieces needed, getting mounts made, and hacking the wiring up.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
And yeah, I have read both of those pieces numerous times over. Lextreme is a VERY VERY invaluable site for this swap and i highly recommend anyone interested in this swap to head over there and sign up. They have a forum specically for Supra swaps.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
pogoism9;965820 said:
And yeah, I have read both of those pieces numerous times over. Lextreme is a VERY VERY invaluable site for this swap and i highly recommend anyone interested in this swap to head over there and sign up. They have a forum specically for Supra swaps.

theres a local guy that did a 1UZ in his supra and said it seemed less complicated to him and was cheaper than my 1JZ swap IIRC.