question about the red sensors under intake manifold

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
so yea i was wondering if i really need those two red sensors under the intake manidolf (not the knock sensors) i think one is for the egr and the other is for the stock fpr but what do they really do?

thanks for any help in advance.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
They are VSV's, or Vacuume Switching Valves, and yes you need them. One is to raise the fuel pressure on hot starts, and the other controls the EGR Valve. Considering your location, it is probably very much needed.

Brandon Wisecup

Dec 23, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Both of my VSV's are not functioning correctly at the moment, causing the car to not run right. I am looking to buy some new ones. My question is are they both the same valve? Or are they going to be two different valve's I need to order? Thanks

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Click on the numbers to see more info:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1708&P=3

Although they're different and have different part numbers they're both three way solenoids and can be interchanged if you plumb them properly. That said it's unlikely your problems are related to these valves as one won't cause any noticeable symptoms and the other is designed to be fail safe. If they're bad they should still be replaced though.

Brandon Wisecup

Dec 23, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Thanks for the reply, I am replacing a bad knock sensor at the moment. The car will start and idle, but when you press the gas it just dies. It's like there is no throttle response. Since one of the vsv's has to do with fuel pressure, I figured that could be part of the problem as well. Also considered an egr block off kit to get rid of all this crap, but still not sure if that would solve the problem.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Unless you're running a different ECU, it's tuned to use the EGR in the fuel mixtures during regular operation.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Brandon Wisecup;1845564 said:
....The car will start and idle, but when you press the gas it just dies. It's like there is no throttle response. Since one of the vsv's has to do with fuel pressure, I figured that could be part of the problem as well...

You're figuring wrong. Sorry.