Question about retorquing bolts on HG

87 supra king

Jul 20, 2008
PA
I have heard that you should get the bolts retorqued after a few thousand miles. My engine was just rebuilt and about to be placed back into my car. If you know anything about this please help me out.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
you can usauly find that they will torque down more. But we need to know alittle more info, like what kind of gasket did you use, and what kind of arp's did you use (studs-bolts). oh and one more thing, how many pounds did you torque them?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Retorque them after the first heat cycle and then after 500 miles. And then do it again on that lazy sunday where your not doing anything, just incase.

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
to retorque... do not losen all at once lol.. youll definately open up the gasket and flood the cylinders and never get a good seal.. go in order from 1-12 in the books order. losen it just enough to break it lose (itll be real tight like your losening a stuck bolt), and as soon as it breaks loose, torque it back down to specs, shouldnt go very much farther from where you broke it loose. and move onto the next. hopefully you use a good moly lube when it was rebuilt so they retorque correctly.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
re torque after 5-6 heat cycles to wat ever arp said to torque to. about 80 ft. remember to break each one loose and torque to specific torque one at a time.