question about alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
just got my car back from letting the guy at merchants change that bypass hose out for me and he tells me that my alternator isnt charging my battery. Driving it home from the shop Im looking at the voltmeter and its showing that the car is getting about 14 volts. If the car was running strictly off the battery wouldnt it only be at 12? Plus the battery light would come on as well right?

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
i did that too, the car still ran whenever the voltmeter was above 12V. But it seems to drop to 12 sometimes while at idle and when it did the car shut off. So im thinking that the alternator is dying, but its still got a little life left in it. So hopefully all will work out. But now Ive got another issue, lol. It seems like this car is going to nickle and dime me to damn death

oscar35783

Feb 24, 2006
Jax, FL
1TuffSupra said:
i did that too, the car still ran whenever the voltmeter was above 12V. But it seems to drop to 12 sometimes while at idle and when it did the car shut off. So im thinking that the alternator is dying, but its still got a little life left in it. So hopefully all will work out. But now Ive got another issue, lol. It seems like this car is going to nickle and dime me to damn death
My alternator went out a month ago and it did the same thing. I took out to the alternator to Autozone to be tested and they said it was fine. I put back the alternator and drove the car. Every ten minutes the car would drop down to 12 volt and the battery light would come on. It would do this for a bout a minute and then it would go back to normal. It seemed that alternator is on its way out. I just replaced it with a new one and everything is find.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
unplug the alternator, release tension on the belt (small nut underneath the alternator), unbolt the alt from the lift bracket (on the top) and the tensioner (on the bottom, by the small nut). very simple, you will need 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm wrenches and sockets i think. its pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.