Quater master/Tilton clutchs any good?

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
to cut a long story short,

not sure how many people here have heard of NPC clutches (aussie made) but I have a brand new twin plate to suit 1jz/r154. I havent heard a bad thing about them and two of my mates who run them (1jz and rb26) rave about it. Drive like factory and rated to over 1000 hp. the beauty about them is they run nice thick clutch and intermediate plates. intermediate plates approx 8mm without measuring them. therefore they do not warp and cause clutch drag.

I have since taken a different direction with my car havign just bought a gforce gf4a (some people may call me crazy but keen to give one a crack). My car is goign to be drift/circuit orientated weighing in at under 1100 kilos, yes u read correct... and hopefully make around 500 rwhp. (stock internals - plenty of bolt ons and cams)

now the issue is, if i want to use the npc clutch which retails for $2500 + $600 for the push pull converter, i will have to get the splines on the hubs swapped over to 26 spline - which in all honestly is not a big deal.

however im half tempted to sell it on and run a tilton 2jz 7.25" flywheel (p/n 51-5021)
and either a quater master or tilton 7.25" triple plate (non carbon given im not baller) which will not only work out cheaper, will result in a setup weighing roughly 9-10 kg in comparrison to the npc at 17.7kg with significantly lower MOI. The NPC clutch is 8" with significant weight distribution towards outside of flywheel.

guessign the npc is more orientated to drags at that weight. for comp. sake, an os giken triple weighs 15.1 kilos

for those that know a thing or two about clutches, which option would you advise me to go?

would a 8-9 kilo saving be a good thing for my application?

anyone used/read reviews on the quater masters - how thick are the intermediate plates / how often you have to rebuild them

lets here what people have to say..

ps. if i go the tilton option - any one got a good hook up through titan/tilton to get the flywheel at a good rate. (summit retails them at 600)

Cheers
Chris

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've heard good things about Tilton, and as you already know, they aren't cheap. Wouldn't mind running one myself once I get my clutch needs figured out.

As for the weight concerns, I would prefer as light a driveline as possible for competition. Less rotational mass should equate to a bit better engine response too...

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Chris, Since you have changed your goals. Why not change your focus of which clutch?
Since you are only shooting for ~500rwhp, why not go with a strong single disc? Just an idea you may have over looked.

I have heard nothing but great reviews about Tilton. Same with OS Giken. If I were to ever go with a multi plate clutch, it would definately by a OS Giken, Tilton, or Spec...or Exedy, or TRD lol

Hope you figure it out!

Sam

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
not keen on os gikens, thin plates that warp very easily and expensive to rebuild. not to mention, not sure hwo easy it is to change hubs over on their clutch plates as i need 26 spline GM

here are a few pics of the NPC twin plate i have (for those interested).

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
didnt get many replies so decided to just buy one and give it a crack.

Took the cheap option and picked up a used opimum v 7.25" clutch off ebay which was going for 230 usd delivered to Australia. about 80 usd cheaper then any other, and had the most life left in it still (current specs indicate about 40% worn)

quality pics for illustration purposes
$(KGrHqQOKjgE5VchG8nbBOef)I03,w~~60_3.JPG

Going to hold off from buying the flywheel (expensive part) untill i take ownership of the gearbox and work out how im going to mount it to the motor.

will be interesting to see how much difference 20ish lbs makes on a flywheel/clutch setup.