Q's about possible 1j swap (searched)

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I have an '87 turbo Supra. I am getting a 1j to swap in. I know I can use the R154 but do I need a different bell housing? What else can I use so that I don't have to use a full front clip? In other words, if I just buy the engine itself, what else will I need other than harness, fuel pump and the other stuff on the typical swap list?

1jzneil

1jz destroyer
Feb 25, 2006
warren, michigan
yes on the new bellhousing. and yes on the need for you to use the search function. the list is quite long and most forums have it all written up on them.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I'd suggest, if possible to get a front clip from driftmotion. I got just the engine and ended up having to buy a lot of separate parts to make it complete. Many people have said the same thing and I disregarded. I really wish I could co back and do it all over again. Not to mention I bought a soarer 1jz and didn't know it till I got the engine. Talk about a wiring nightmare that I haven't finished yet.

But, do some searching and you'll find everything you need on here.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Front clip is the way to go. It will end up saving you money and time.

You need the JZ series Bell housing as well.

Without a front clip you can run a 2jz water pump and mechanical fan to replace the hydro fans and such.

But seriously, Get a front clip!

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
Yeah seriously, I ordered a front clip too. I tried searching around to save some money, but in the end the clip is the best way. I can't wait to get it though. I got everything I need for 3gs plus shipping. Not bad I think.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
No doubt about it - front clip will save you time and money. Lots of places to get it but few reputable importers out there so I'd very carefull in choosing. I got mine from Jarco - www.jarcoinc.com

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
For sure buy the front clip because their are a lot of little things that you will need from it. Buying the clip makes things easier so you don't have to go and source for rare parts and you can have your car on the road sooner.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
talk to Aaron or Jose from driftmotion. i wanted to get a front clip but didnt' have space for a clip. I ended up getting a complete engine set minus a few parts. I got mine as complete as possbile.

Engine, ecu, wiring harness, hydro fan setup, all sensors, bic mounts. I do not have the stock IC setup so i just baught an aftermarket one. I do not have the stock air box, so i baught an aftermarket one. I upgraded the clutch while i was there and many more. I will have my build thread in my sig soon so just check it out. I haven't really made much progress because of the weather but hopefully i can finish the swap with in the next 2 to 6 weeks.

supraracer49

3rd Gen Life
Nov 20, 2006
WNC
Yeah man a front clip is the only way to go! Just got mine from Jarco last weekend and it has everything compared to just a motor. You will have a lot less headaches with it making the swap go faster. Order it from Jarco or Driftmotion as they are great guys and have the best clips!

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
got mine from driftmotion and they are by far the best hands down. These guys are supra gods... :biglaugh:

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
Torsen SUCKS

i didn't get a front clip and after buying the engine set, hydrofan setup, exhaust, and the BIC mounts i needed i still didn't pay as much as u do buying a clip

i was under the price of clip even with fluids, and electrical supplies to extend the harness with......

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
forcefedsupra said:
Jarco's clips come with the Torsen differential. If I get it, is it worth swapping out my 3.73 lsd?

they dont jsut come with them anymore you need to pay 295 extra, 395 if not buying with a clip

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
The Reaper said:
Torsen SUCKS

i didn't get a front clip and after buying the engine set, hydrofan setup, exhaust, and the BIC mounts i needed i still didn't pay as much as u do buying a clip

i was under the price of clip even with fluids, and electrical supplies to extend the harness with......

very good point. I got mine + upgrades for just the price of a clip. Thats with shipping as well which was 600. Now if you take the 600 out i'm 600 less then what a clip cost with out shipping.

If you do go the engine set route. Make sure you can get all your parts this is way i say go with driftmotion. Aaron & Jose made sure i got all the parts i needed for little to no cost added to the engine set. These guys are by far the best!.

I spent 3,400 on an engine set with a hydro fan setup, upgraded ecu, complete intercooler kit with shipping. Take 600 out and thats only 2800 and i already have upgrades. Plus $1,100 for the clutch, koyo rad, and other parts thats 3900 with out shipping so far. not bad.

Nopaint

Jan 30, 2007
GA
Well I guess I came out lucky... I bout my clip for 2100. It came with upgraded intercooler/piping. spent 500 on RAD and down pipe and getting it running with fluids and stuff. so 2600 isn't bad is it?

tylerjacobsen85

WVsupradriver
Nov 28, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Nopaint said:
Well I guess I came out lucky... I bout my clip for 2100. It came with upgraded intercooler/piping. spent 500 on RAD and down pipe and getting it running with fluids and stuff. so 2600 isn't bad is it?
Were did you get a clip for that price?