Put in tranny and no Reverse

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Ok I've been working on my tranny for about 3 weeks now. Mostly waiting on parts. I shimmed my shift accumulators going by the A340 thread in the other forum. Using one members (user name Crafty over on SF) reference of making the shims of solid stock and to the lengths of B2 rod 1.75" and C2 rod 1.90". I also turned up the pressure across the box by turning the screw on the side as pictured in post 203 by user name bedlam when you click the link. I also put on a B&M tranny cooler. I followed the TSRM's instructions for setting the shift linkage and still I have no reverse. Every gear except reverse works. And it may not be recognizing neutral b/c I cannot start the car in neutral; it will only start in Park. If I possibly put the accumulators in backwards could that cause my current problem or would it not work at all? I don't really think I put them in backwards but I honestly don't remember. One of the accumulators has no travel at all and the other has very little but I think that is the way it's supposed to be. Anyways I posted here at SM b/c most of you guys are also registered at SF. So someone please tell me what I screwed up. Thanks Bill.

Ps. had this posted in general but deleted it. Figured it needed to be here.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I can't comment on the valve body mods, as I didn't see you do it. The only ones you should do is shimming the two accumalators on the first page. Don't lock the cable either.

If the range selector is not right, you will have problems just like you are describing. How does it drive in D, 2, 1 etc? More info.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Well I didn't drive it as I had no one there to help me push the car out of the shop. I only pushed it back as far as i could and then put it in D and drove it back into shop about 10ft. and it didn't seem to have any problems. But I followed the TSRMs instructions for setting the shift linkage and all seemed well. If there were a line pressure problem could that cause reverse not to work?
I'll try to make it to the shop today and see if one of my buddies can help me push it out and I'll take it for a drive.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Ok so I went to the shop and got someone to help me push my car out. I drove it and it goes through 1-3 just fine but has no overdrive. And if I manually shift it down to 2nd. nothing happens the same for L. Its as if I left it in D the whole time. My speedo doesn't work but I'm sure I can fix that. Anyhow I hope this helps someone figure it out cus I don't have any idea.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Was thinking of taking the shims out and seeing how the car drove anyone have any input on whats going on? Thanks Bill.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Went back to shop and pulled my valve body and put the accumulators out of my old tranny in with the shims. Turned the screw on the side that adjusts pressure back to where it was and put it all back together. I sorta have reverse now. If I go from D to Reverse real fast and press the accelerator it will back up real slowly. And when I drive it; it seems like it is in 2nd. gear and goes from 2nd. to 3rd. there is no kickdown. And now when I drive it the overdrive light flashes as I drive down the road. When I put it in L it seems like the brakes are being depressed and the car starts to slow to a stop. If no one chimes in i'm gonna take out the shims tommorow and put the accumulators that came out of this transmission back in. Which may be the best thing to do anyways. Thanks for any help Bill.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I have all the mods (and then some) mentioned in the thread you're referring to, with the exception of locking down the cable (as mentioned previously, don't do it). I have tried many different size shims and valve body adjustments and haven't run into the problems you are experiencing, therefore:

If I were you...I'd unplug the ect and do a manual shift test on it per the tsrm. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AT&P=20
This will determine if what you've got is a mechanical or an electronic problem and give you a starting point.

After that, you're gonna have to go through the trouble-shooting flow charts and perform the tests as directed... or you're going to be chasing your tail forever.

Start from the beginning and meticulously work the charts to the end and you will find your problem(s).There really isn't any shortcuts.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Wasnt there someone in that thread that had this same problem? If memory serves me, it was later determined that the pistons were reversed.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Well I checked the accumulators and they are in the correct spot. I'll try the method suggested by suprabad. The flow charts you are meaning the charts in the TSRM for described problems i'm guessing. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll let you know what I find out.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Ok I did what the TSRM page instructed me to do and reverse worked great. Reverse was extremely torquey. The car itself stays in one gear the whole time no matter if your in L,2, or D. I believe it is in 3rd gear the whole time. It's real sluggish and then when the turbo kicks in it takes off like a bat out of hell. My speedo isn't working so I don't exactly how fast i'm going but 4000rpms in 3rd. should be about 65 or 70mph. roughly I think. Anyways I'm gonna browse the TSRM website and see what I can find. And maybe someone can point me in the right direction with these symptoms described above. Thanks Bill.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Went back to shop today and pulled the solenoids off and put mine off my old tranny on and it made no difference. When the car warms up and you shift in and out of D a couple of times reverse starts working. Once everything gets warm reverse works good, maybe to good. I can burn out in reverse which I've never been able to do before. The car will shift from 2nd. to 3rd. when driving down the road. So I'm back to square one. Any other ideas? Thanks Bill.