~* Purchased a 1992 Turbo Black / Shadow Grey Hardtop *~ Pre Build Help WELCOMED!

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Hello everyone! Just picked up this hardtop which I could not pass on. Not to many 1992 Hardtops around like this so trailer her back! It has 100% original paint. It's a sunroof & TEMS delete car. The ultimate car for me to do a slow build. I have never done a motor before will have to gave a shop do the work but Ill be getting everything ready over time to have them do it right.

Some parts and work came with the car already which was a great bonus.

The original 7m.

Arias Pistons .20 with 8.9 compression.

Pauter Rods.

Head machined with Viton seals & BC springs.

Block prep and decked by Aaron @ Drift Motion.

Full ARP hardware.

IJ crank scraper.

Aluminum driver shaft from drive shaft shop.

Stock rebuilt r154 came with it but I have a brand new diamond looking Marlin Crawler built box with DM parts Marlin doesn’t make. With r154 built by Marlin I’m good for 1000whp+!

These are the main parts but a lot of extras I can use will need to be sold off to fund the project. Such a 60-1 CT-26 from DM and a fully built A340 Transmission from IPS

I will have Kaizen do engine once I’m ready. Arron notched the block for the rods.

My goal is 800WHP on this build.

Im very excited! It’s so hard to find a hardtop in 89+ cars and finally have a car to build so I don’t have to touch my mint 92’ teal.

Looking forward to all the advice and help from you all!

Thanks again!

Pictures

92black2.jpg92black4 (Large).jpg20160312_161044 (Large).jpg92supra3.jpg20160312_161015 (Large).jpg92Black.jpg20160312_161028 (Large).jpg20160312_161057 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
The first thing that has come to my attention on the block is the coolant passages??? No wounder it gets hot on the intake side with just 1 hole that's smaller then the two holes on the intake side? Why did the engineers do this? This would only keep heat high? Maybe for emissions reasons?? Anyhow this must be why the bolts come lose on the intake size maybe?? I''ll definitely be opening up the passages to match the other side. Even the HG has 4 passages for the 7m?? So odd???

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The exhaust side will be hotter than the intake on a 7M. The ever-popular stripped exhaust threads are evidence of that.

In the cylinder head, the intake side has a constant flow of cool, fresh air coming in. The exhaust side, on the other hand, has extremely hot air pulsing through it. The exhaust side will need much more coolant to keep the temperature across the head anywhere near even.

They didn't want to keep the intake hot, so much as even the heat as much as possible.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
suprarx7nut;2072938 said:
The exhaust side will be hotter than the intake on a 7M. The ever-popular stripped exhaust threads are evidence of that.

In the cylinder head, the intake side has a constant flow of cool, fresh air coming in. The exhaust side, on the other hand, has extremely hot air pulsing through it. The exhaust side will need much more coolant to keep the temperature across the head anywhere near even.

They didn't want to keep the intake hot, so much as even the heat as much as possible.

I see. Due to the JZ engines having two full passages on each side it seems prudent for me to do the same? I guess for lower power levels it will be fine but not for big power?

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
suprama;2072943 said:
Where did you find the car?

Good question! I bought some new listed parts on eBay such and brand new, oil squirters, DM modded oil pump, AZ performance oil cross pipe , DM high amp alternator I think that's it. I bought it all then spoke with the owner about why he sold the parts and over the coarse of months we meet did the deal. The nicest guy I have ever met! 1 in a million! Very honest fair guy. I also bought is 94 mr2 turbo but it was a repaired salvage title car in an accident so plan on selling it. Anyhow he was older with grown kids and had to move on with to much going on with school to further is medical career.

Wow since 2007 you have 1 post? I glad to see the thread brought out hehe.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Hopefully you can work out your picture issue, I'd like to see this.

While you have the head off of the car, you may want to helicoil all of the exhaust stud holes. I think Driftmotion still sells a kit for it. It's much easier to do off the car, and then you never have to worry about it.

supranaut

Rock'n Death with Spikes
Apr 5, 2005
STL
Enraged;2072960 said:

While you have the head off of the car, you may want to helicoil all of the exhaust stud holes. I think Driftmotion still sells a kit for it. It's much easier to do off the car, and then you never have to worry about it.

Helicoil for the original studs or just tap for the larger ones that DM sells in a kit? I have an original kit with bigger studs that Aaron sold me before he started Driftmotion...yes its been a long time ago! :p

suprama

Sep 28, 2007
long beach
suprapilot;2072945 said:
Good question! I bought some new listed parts on eBay such and brand new, oil squirters, DM modded oil pump, AZ performance oil cross pipe , DM high amp alternator I think that's it. I bought it all then spoke with the owner about why he sold the parts and over the coarse of months we meet did the deal. The nicest guy I have ever met! 1 in a million! Very honest fair guy. I also bought is 94 mr2 turbo but it was a repaired salvage title car in an accident so plan on selling it. Anyhow he was older with grown kids and had to move on with to much going on with school to further is medical career.

Wow since 2007 you have 1 post? I glad to see the thread brought out hehe.

Thanks! I've had a couple supras in the past and is looking to get back into another toyota. My search have been on and off for years as I am looking only for 92s black turbo 5spd sunroof cars. VERY HARD to find lol.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Enraged;2072960 said:

Cool thanks for the tip! I didn't think about that?

So far for the exhaust manifold I'm going with the SP F1 that's soon to be release. Oh, saw it on suprafourms.

For turbo looks like 9180 EFR. Also looking to get an engine griddle but don't know many options. I heard a guy on supraforums made one for the Malta drag 7m.

Last edited:

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
supranaut;2072966 said:
Helicoil for the original studs or just tap for the larger ones that DM sells in a kit? I have an original kit with bigger studs that Aaron sold me before he started Driftmotion...yes its been a long time ago! :p

Wow that is a long time! Well I was a around Supras since the 80s and dropped out in the 90s and now back lol.

So if I go to that larger 7/16 size? Does it still fight stock or other manifolds?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
p2073047_1.gif

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
Nick M;2073047 said:

Oh yes lol!! I put some pics on the 1st post sorry forgot to mention after I reduced the size of the pics it worked!

These are at time of pickup. I have a lot of parts to go through but will be selling items I can't use unfortunately for 800whp.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
FernandoDLT;2073151 said:
Very nice find! My brother is looking for that exact car to swap his build into haha

Thanks so much! Wow it looks like you guys have some skills! I wish I could do half the stuff in your build threads lol.

Your brother has a black car in the pics and hardtop? Why does it want another Supra to swap? The hood looks nice! Which brand is it?