Pulling the harmonic balancer?

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm in the middle of tearing down my 1JZ and I'm having the hardest time getting the bolt for the harmonic balancer broke lose. I just snapped a half inch drive breaker bar so now im stumped. Is there some sort of trick to this or what? Any help is appreciated.

And I've also tried an impact wrench with no results.:1zhelp:

enawazh

May 8, 2007
long beach
I went thru 2 1/2" breaker bars before mine finally gave in. The trick is to remove the starter and wedge something in the flywheel. Be care full not to damage the flywheel. Go and find the longest pipe you can get ure hands on. Use that for leverage. Makes the whole process much less dramatic. It also helps to spray the bolt with some penetrating fluid.

Good luck

Edit: I assumed ure engine is still in the car. is it??

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
My engine is on the engine stand, but i have a wrench jammed between 2 old flywheel bolts to lock it up. It is a normal right hand thread right? Thats what i was told. I first thought it might have been a left handed reverse thread. Thank for the help. I guess i will go buy another breaker bar. Lol.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
i had a fun time with mine also. what i ended up doing (my head was off) was i cut two small pieces of 2x4 to fit in the cylinder then i positioned the pistons so when i pull back they would go up. then i put the wood in the 3 and 4 cylinder then i drilled two holes in a steelbar put studs through the bar and into the block .so as i pulled back the wood hit the bar and held the engine in place... i didnt want to damage the teeth on my flywheel

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
LOL. Thats creative. I finally got it off though. I let it soak with PB Blaster, then took a 1/2 inch drive ratchet to it along with a big ass pipe for extra leverage. It took two people to hold the engine in place and to keep it from lifting up on the stand, and one person working the ratchet.