Pulling engine possibly deck block

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
So I am in the process of pulling the engine out of my 88 7mgte. I bought it with a blown head gasket a while back and me and a friend fixed it. We shaved the head and used a stock gasket. Now i was thinking about getting a metal head gasket while i had the engine pulled. I figured i could get the block shaved while its out since i didnt have enough money for it last time. Now my question is if i remove the head will i have to get that shaved again too? It doesnt have a bhg or anything. i was just curious if i would have to. It would make me decide whether or not i would take the head off or not.

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
what does 30ra mean? i already decked the head once just not the block. so even if the head gasket is fine and i take the head off i still have to deck it again?

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
What he is saying is you need to make sure that the decking on the head you already had done was sufficient for a good seal on a metal head gasket. You should find out from the machine shop how much they took off your head and make sure you tell the guy doing your engine so that they don't end up taking off too much.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ra is roughness average.

The cleaner and flatter the head is the better it's going to seal.

Every time you pull the head off it should be machined before it going back on.

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
then i guess i wont be able to take the head off. When i got my head back from the shop he told me that he had to take off almost the maximum he could to get it flat. I guess he has some sort of book that tells him? idk. But if i have to get the head machined if i take it off i cant afford to do that anyway. Im very low budget again since im in school

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Well I just ended up taking the head off anyway. lol. I guess i would rather throw a metal gasket on and do it right since i actually have the engine out. Thinking about maybe getting the block bored and throwing in some different internals

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
icey756;1806675 said:
Well I just ended up taking the head off anyway. lol. I guess i would rather throw a metal gasket on and do it right since i actually have the engine out. Thinking about maybe getting the block bored and throwing in some different internals

Very low budget, rebuilding a good running block, head probably shouldn't be machined again, but now has to be, debating new internals, boring the block...

What?

This won't end well...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

harley1985

Aug 17, 2011
killeen tx
if the bottom end is in good shape then just let it be and get the block and head machined. throw a MHG and some arps on there and have a nice day. spend that extra money on putting the engine back together (I.E hoses, gaskets, hardware) your bound to run into some unexpected gremlins. heck go crazy and switch it over to synthetic while your at it :)

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Well i want to get the block and head dipped so its nice and clean and then paint the block. Idk if the shop will want me to pull out the pistons and at that

harley1985

Aug 17, 2011
killeen tx
yes they will. for real though, your overdoing this.degrease and pressure wash the block tape it up and spray it with rattle can. high temp primer and high temp engine enamel. you will be surprised how good it actually looks if you do it rite and take your time. im going to be doing the same thing when i get back in country. my engine is fine, im just going MHG and arps so im getting the head and blocked decked and replacing seals (front and rear mains, cam seals, ect..) its cost effective and will look great, while you got the engine out degrease and pressure wash the engine bay. it makes a world of difference. take pics :)

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
yeah my block is rusted too. It not terrible but i would have to do some grinding and i dont wanna mess up and accidentally knick the top of the block or something.