Prosport gauge install.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Everything went well and I am more then happy with what I purchased. Then only question is about the boost gauge. With my old mechanical auto meter gauge the boost reading was on average 1-2 PSI higher. Now is the eletrical gauge just reading lower because it is a hell of a lot more accurate or do I have some kind of leak?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
When was the last time you used the autometer?
How was the weather
how hot outside was it
what was the humidity

same applies to the new guage...psi can vary

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Hmmm... I didn't think about all that... But the auto meter used to always read around the same PSI no matter the weather, humidity, and temperature. The last time I used it was 2 weeks ago. and last week I didn't drive at all as I was on vacation.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
dslocal;1350054 said:
you could hook them both up at the same time and then you would have your answer.

I could do that but I really want to avoid running the hose back into the car.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
steveo;1350279 said:
I could do that but I really want to avoid running the hose back into the car.

Do what I have done on occasion and just hook it up through the hood and window. No need to route it through the car. Thats what I would do for a quick verification on the gauges.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
supradjza80;1350285 said:
Do what I have done on occasion and just hook it up through the hood and window. No need to route it through the car. Thats what I would do for a quick verification on the gauges.

THat is a great idea. After I get home from work that is what I will do. All I need is some vacume hose.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
supradjza80;1350285 said:

you bitch, stealing my glory:3d_frown:

:biglaugh:

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Autometer gauges arent the best quality out there, they are ok for the price, I have seen Autometer boost gauges that are + or - 3 psi. When you buy one try to find one with that is sitting right on zero when. This is why the zero mark on the gauge is 3-4 psi wide. The ProSPorts are pretty decent gauges too, I just installed some in a customers car and they work and look good.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
becauseican;1350451 said:
Autometer gauges arent the best quality out there, they are ok for the price, I have seen Autometer boost gauges that are + or - 3 psi. When you buy one try to find one with that is sitting right on zero when. This is why the zero mark on the gauge is 3-4 psi wide. The ProSPorts are pretty decent gauges too, I just installed some in a customers car and they work and look good.

Ya I bought the autometer just to get me through until I could afford the prosports. I also thought I had a boost leak but the gauge confirmed I didn't. So when I bought the autometer I just grabbed any gauge off the shelf. So that may have been the problem.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I have an Autometer, and as a BIC said, mine sits at 2psi with the engine off.
So I know that my boost is actually a bit lower, and my vac is actually a bit higher, than indicated.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
guido;1534702 said:
OEM boost gauge are mechanical..?

what is best to use electrical or mechanical?

OEM is electric. It's usually preferance as both work fine, but wires are easier to route than vacuum lines ;)