Project Yellow Jacket Begins

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
So lets start by saying some may like and other may not. It would be nice to not get to nasty with comments. I understand some of my choices would not be what others would make but it is what i like in the end.

Here is what she looked like when i bought it.

390660836.jpg

1st off the exterior is going from a nice pear white to a Planet color Barrett Jackson Yellow Jacket.. Hence the build name. I plan to keep the front and rear stock for the 87 with one minor mod to the 3rd break light BRICK. I will post pictures of that as we make the mod to a cut in light.

Here are a couple pictures as we strip it down.

396625310.jpg

396625308.jpg

396625311.jpg

I have very little body work needed as well as 99.9% rust free. but will post pictures as we move on.

As for the Interior that has caused a lot of family discussion. My plan was to keep it blue with yellow accents to match the exterior. My son says no must change it all to black inside with yellow accents. Due to the fact that i needed to replace a drivers side rear window, Hatch struts, and rear k frame. we stripped out the back half of the car. So now since its out i will be changing the color now instead of later. This will not be going back in untill all those other items are fixed. So on the down side i will have all black panels with yellow accents and BLUE cloth seats an carpet until the budget allows for new leather skins an carpet.

Will be putting all new bushing in the rear end that i have before i install it. This one i am told is the JZA70 Torsen diff swap. I would like to know for sure so if anyone knows what i need to look for let me know.

When all is said and done i HOPE to have a freshly rebuilt 7M GTE, pushing 400-450 that will stand out in a group.

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Will get more this weekend my buddy is painting after work and pulls 60hr weeks, He was getting ready to shoot the clear on the jams when i left. I have to say watching i had the thought OMG what have i done lol. He said no worry's he had the exact same feeling when he cut the top off his 3rd gen Rx7 to put a roof with a sun roof on. The big joke now is how long it will be from out the door painted till 1st ticket. Currently i zoom by the cops doing 15 over an nothing. I should start a pool with 75% payback to the winner the 25% i keep will go to the ticket lol.

Oh i also bought my VHT today to start on the black interior conversion but i have decided to wait till i see the blue with the yellow. Plan was all black with some yellow inserts, new black carpet if i can find the post on where they bought it and then Ebay leather int with yellow centers.

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Tonight just fixing a couple ding's my buddy thinks after he seen the jam's cleared that we should call my car The Angry lemon lol

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Looking good. Going from white to yellow it's good that you are getting the jams too; nothing worse that milti-coloured cars, unless ofcourse you're supraofdoom... hahaa

For inspiration on your yellow bomber, check out this page by our member suprra_girl
http://www.supra.co.nz/rebuild/rebuild.htm
She has a yellow naner like you're building.
eric

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Sweet thanks for that link, Its nice to see something close in color. We will not be doing my engine bay till maybe next year unless i get cajunkenny to sell me his CL motor hehe

Also Just bought VHT interior paint for my dash and all that needs to be changed, I checked with the paint store and for the parts that i want yellow to match he sold me some good prep primer and told me what to do so i can use the exterior paint on those parts. Also need to try Sunday or next Tuesday to swap my Jza70 Torsen diff in also. Swapping the complete rear frame, suspension and the works. This will put 1.5in drop on rear and newer Tems on. Then just need to find a set of rear hatch struts to change out while rear is in pieces. If we have time will put the drop spring on the front also. Sadly these are just cut not REAL lowering springs like i was told when i bought it.

OHH bought VHT night shades for my tails also so will try and get that done also

Last edited:

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Working on painting some interior parts and may attempt to smoke my tails. Car should be seeing some paint today not sure when, will get some pictures and maybe a video. I must say the yellow on the white base makes it a LOT brighter then the color sample

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Ok got this on my cell this AM did not get to be there when he shot it due to family issues. Will get more pictures later an get everything put back on. Some will like others will not, but i like it and that's what really matters

396748135.jpg

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Smoking lights tonight and starting to put all the stuff back on, this pic does not do the color justice. my stock saws have got to go my god they look horrid now, may redo them black for now if i can not find a match to my 17's

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Got it home today. now have to put everything back on but figured a couple pictures could not hurt. Sorry not the best of pictures they are off my cell, Need to get my good camera home and shoot some. This makes it appear more gold then the screaming yellow it is

396844172.jpg

For those wanting to smoke your tails, If i can do it anyone can. Sadly my 3rd break light cracked when it dried so need to clean it an re do it. May just put it on for now till i get to it

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Hope this sunday to put the cut springs on the front an drop the new K frame with newer tem's 1.5in drop and the new Torsen rear diff. Get all the clear lights placed and my plates back on. Inside is still on hold as i am stressed over the color change. The blue looks ok with the yellow. I can redo all interior to black an yellow BUT do not have the funds for new leather seats so will be stuck with blue seats for a couple months

Must get time to try an trade off my 2 sets of 16in wheel for a set of 17's or find a 17 to replace my bent one then get them powder coated black, my stock wheels are like OMG they look like shit

supra girl

supra girl
May 13, 2010
tricity washington
1StTurbo;1713206 said:
Got it home today. now have to put everything back on but figured a couple pictures could not hurt. Sorry not the best of pictures they are off my cell, Need to get my good camera home and shoot some. This makes it appear more gold then the screaming yellow it is

396844172.jpg

For those wanting to smoke your tails, If i can do it anyone can. Sadly my 3rd break light cracked when it dried so need to clean it an re do it. May just put it on for now till i get to it

Wow it looks great yellow! Good name for it also Yellow Jacket. I like that! Good Luck getting everything back to together, been there twice in the last two years it takes alot of work. What color is your interior? Are you going to need to due the that also?

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Well I have very nice blue cloth, At the insistence of my son i was swapping to black BUT after putting some blue back on i kind of like it. another problem is i can not afford my new seat covers now so everything would be black/yellow with blue seats. So for the time being it will be Blue with yellow accents and when i can afford the seat covers will make the final choice. right now i just want to DRIVE it again, been in my wife's N/A auto which drives nice but is not MY car also she has the leather seats and they hurt my back. Need some black wheels BADLY

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
The smoked lights compliment it well. As will tint... What color rims will you be going with? I think black would look sweet! :)