Project "so I have this widebody..."

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Hey all...bought my first supra. She's an 89 targa turbo with a manual gearbox, and a rediculously wide body kit that a PO put on the car.
a6cd8b0c-9173-b4e1.jpg

a6cd8b0c-9262-b555.jpg

This is how far I have to go to be flush...take note that the stock rim/225 is on a 2" spacer...
a6cd8b0c-92b3-b9a7.jpg

...that's 5.5" when I measuered it. Which means I'm going to end up buying at least a 12" wide rim to fit the rears. The front isn't on a spacer nor quite as bad, but it's still 2.5" to the fender without it. Probably end up running a staggered setup; 17 or 18x9.5 up front and 18x12 in the back. I plan on getting the biggest lip on those bad boys as I can.

But to drive it around, I need to make it street legal...so I ordered some 12" amber led strips:
a6cd8b0c-93c3-ab06.jpg

And mounted them to the edge of the headlight covers.
a6cd8b0c-944f-d8c2.jpg

UGLY! Plus, the connector on the end clipped the hood every time I closed the lights, usually yanking it out. After a bit of thought, I decided to French them:
a6cd8b0c-94e1-8545.jpg

a6cd8b0c-952a-dbca.jpg

a6cd8b0c-9567-df1e.jpg

More as I do more work...priorities are as follows:

1- Make it legal. Marker lamps, smog (yes, I'm keeping it clean), the works. Cops in my town don't play, especially with tuner cars.
2- Make it look right. I know the widebody looks funky right now, but with the right set of wheels and some paint, it'll be George Clinton-brand funky. IE, the good kind.
3- Make it handle. Suspension is king; TEMS is cool, but the Tein Flex coilovers are calling my name. More adjustable, and they'll allow me to drop it like I want. Beyond that...strut braces, swaybars, and the Xmember across the back floor. Should get rid of that raunchy chassis twist, right?
4- Make it go like stink. Through a combination of planned upgrades, I want to make 400-500 ft/lbs of torque. Horsepower will follow, being a product of torque over time and distance. I'm definitely planning on reducing a lot of rotating mass...flywheel, driveshaft, maybe a set of forged pistons/rods to make myself feel better about boosting past 1bar.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
So your the one who bought this car off jeff.

Going to need some massive wheels on that car.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I bought it from a guy named ron. Did this jeff do the bodywork by any chance? Cause...there's a bunch of questions I have for whoever cut up the body.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No jeff had it earlier this year and sold it maybe at the beg of summer. He knows who did the bodywork tho.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
hvyman;1639990 said:
No jeff had it earlier this year and sold it maybe at the beg of summer. He knows who did the bodywork tho.

Oh man. If you could put me in contact with him, I'd be overjoyed...just kinda want to get more history on this beast; when the motor was swapped, where it was sourced, what was changed over/kept...I just keep running into stuff that's been rigged and started breaking. PM me with infos, if you can :)

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
i thought i was the only one that wanted to instal a widebody kit but not as wide as yours .Belive me i got flamed alot for such idea like 2 years ago but I think i will go for it btw good luck

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
87mk111;1640128 said:
is this the car taht has the corvette tail lights?

Yes, and I hate them. They're simply the oval C5 covers with the stock taillight assembly hanging behind them, not even mounted. I'll post pics of that nightmare later...it pisses me off enough that I might just fill them and run an LED bar, like what the custom truck guys do with their tailgates:
60_Red_White_Tailgate_large_Diagram.jpg

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Bleakvoid;1640146 said:
Yes, and I hate them. They're simply the oval C5 covers with the stock taillight assembly hanging behind them, not even mounted. I'll post pics of that nightmare later...it pisses me off enough that I might just fill them and run an LED bar, like what the custom truck guys do with their tailgates:
60_Red_White_Tailgate_large_Diagram.jpg

thought it looked familiar. I think I saw this car on either youdrivewhat.com or that willbuffout.com, i cant renber tho. The led bars would be cool tho.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
this is going to be one of those cars........either you love it or you despise it!

i asked my wife to take a look and she thaught it look like a newer car and liked it, im not so sure:) with alot of work it could look good to me though.

good luck and keep us udated and post more pics damit:)

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I found some grille mesh laying around for the intercooler and rear vents, mocked it up, and decided I need some white gloss paint, foam, and some fiberglass. But before all that, my DD needs a new water pump and freeze plug behind the flywheel :-/

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
It'd look a lot better if you could get rid of that massive cavity in the doors and bring out the door panels to match the rest of the body lines (i.e. extend out the panels so they blend in and don't look like a massive hole). Did they cut the rear fenders so you can actually fit a massively wide tire under it? Pics of everything please (especially from below with and without the wheels on).