Project ORANGE has started!!!

wraith1176

Aug 28, 2006
Bucksport,ME
Hello I have been lurking around for a while and its mostly because I haven't really started my build untill recently but now it has begun. I have 2 MK3 supras, an 89 and a 87 both turbo cars. This is the 87 the better of the 2 bodies. I will be taking what parts I need to get it going from the 89. Untill last weekend I lacked the space to do the project, I have a business with my father as well as a full time job. We cleaned up space enough to get it in and start the tear down. This car has had alot of parts thrown at it and in my opinion not alot of knowledge. Hopfully I am not offending anyone that worked on this car if they are present. The body kit that was on it was not attached well, so it came off and I will be using the bumpers off the 89. Also not using the body kit cause its too low for Maine roads. I am not saying I know it all, I have learned alot from lurking here about supras and I have been wrenching on cars professionaly since I could hold a wrench. Or at least as a profession since I was 15. I am hoping to turn this car into a good runner. It has alot of potential its just going to take time. I don't have alot of experience with the writing portion of this forum so please bear with me. I am interested in all opinions and help that you all can give. So here are some pics to tide you over till I make more progress. I have removed the engine and trans, the head gasket is gone. The good news is they studded the head but messed up something and it still blew the head gasket. More to follow......

Attachments

• supra 1.JPG
    supra 1.JPG
    615.2 KB · Views: 88
  • supra 2.JPG
    supra 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • supra 3.JPG
    supra 3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • Supra 4.JPG
    Supra 4.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • Supra 5.JPG
    Supra 5.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 55

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Wow, nice project you got going, looks like your heading in the right direction with the 89+ face lift and the engine re-fresh, that will really help the look of the car, in my opinion. Good luck.

wraith1176

Aug 28, 2006
Bucksport,ME
Chambers;1242965 said:
Wow, nice project you got going, looks like your heading in the right direction with the 89+ face lift and the engine re-fresh, that will really help the look of the car, in my opinion. Good luck.

Thanks, I really think the car will look much cleaner with the 89+ update. I don't know alot about the history of the car so if anyone recognizes it and has any info that would bet great. Car came form mass.

Skoorbnut

Jan 2, 2009
Maryland
I actually really like the color of that car. Not a fan of the body kit but am really looking forward to see this build progress.

engineer4speed

Oct 22, 2008
Prescott, AZ
Subscribed, this is going to be one cool build. I can't wait for the day to come to do my own build. My dad and I are building a 1988 celica all trac turbo. Good luck on this build, you'll love the process!

wraith1176

Aug 28, 2006
Bucksport,ME
So i pulled the head last night and the cam bearings have some nasty gouges in them. As well as the cylinders have some vertical scrathches. So its looking like i need to get my other car in and pull the engine out to see what shape the head and block are in. Oh and the keyway in the crank on my 87 is very egged out so that might need to be repaired if i use that crank. I won't be pulling the other engine for a while as i need to get my other project out of the way: 88 fzr1000. then i can move the orange car over and pull in the white 89 and strip it. I will be listing the available parts i don't need from the white 89 once i get it stripped and find out what i need and don't need. I know some of you are wondering what plans i have so here is a rundown. I want the car back to stock exterior appearance using 89 body parts, except i plan to smooth the mouldings, as i don't have a good set. And i think it looks good that way. As far as engine i want to use what performance parts i have and make it run correctly, not looking to win any horsepower shootouts. I just want a good running car thats fun to drive. The 87 has rc injectors in it now i don't know what size they are. It also has a different turbo its a KKK? There were AEM cam gears but whoever installed them didn't have the right bolts in the cover and cracked the gears. I also have a aeromotive FPR. As well as a aeromotive fuel pump. I want to put in a new tank with sump. So theres a idea of things to come, can't promise fast progression but i will update when i get stuff done. Thanks for all the support and info this site has been alot of help and i am sure will be in the future as well.

wraith1176

Aug 28, 2006
Bucksport,ME
Update from this weekend sorry no new pics. Started so more disassembly of the interior to discover the wiring has been really screwed with. The harness from the ecm out the to engine compartment has several cut wires and bad splices and the ignition harness has been spliced on almost every wire. And to top it all off when they installed the gauge pod on the d/s a piller they cut a huge divot out of the dash pad!!!!:icon_evil So between the wiring and the interior pieces I need to replace I might be using the white 89 body instead. Gotta get it dug out and brought in to see which one is a better starting point. I will have to replace targa seals on the white car if I use it but I think I can find some. Anyway I will try and take some pics this week if I can remember to take my camera. The dash is really disapointing cause I don't think you could ever repair it. Thanks for all the comments, this is a slow process right now.