problems with valve cover gaskets

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Ok so I've been having trouble with my valve cover gaskets (and according to the searches I've done, I'm not the only one). The new gaskets are leaking near the back by the firewall, and maybe other spots...

but anyway, I'm gonna try and fix it tomorrow; gonna check to make sure they're seated correctly all the way around, try and torque the bolts down evenly, and I'm thinking of putting down some rvt sealant just to make sure I don't have to do it again.

Suppose I use some RVT gasket sealant. The stuff is silicone, so my question is if I have to remove the sealant at some point, will it come back off easily?

Hopefully that is clear enough. Any other suggestions for what to do?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Get some actual toyota gaskets and scrape all that old gasket off and you'll be fine! Don't use RTV you will just make more leaks.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Old gaskets are gone.

Got some Felpros, and those are the ones that are leaking. They were a little long originally. I had to press em in from both ends, and kinda wedge them in to make em fit.

People seem to have hit/miss success with Felpros. What is the problem with using RVT specifically?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i had the same problem as most people. they say not to use loctite on the bolts but i used a very small amount and used the light duty stuff. never had a problem with them leaking again, never had problem take them out, didn't put loctite back on when i installed them again and the bolts never loosened up again.

the stock bolts loosen up easy even if there new. a lot of have also replaced the stock screwdriver bolts with allen head bolts with great results.

the gaskets were made to seal with out rtv. and they do seal. the tsrm also calls for fipg/rtv on each side of the front cam cap to seal the corners.

if they still keep leaking get toyota gaskets there cheap.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
I've got allen bolts on the valve covers, forgot to mention that, so I've got that covered.

I've had some people tell me use toyota gaskets or silicone gasket. Debating if i want to try and make these Felpros work, or just ditch them and get silicone gaskets.