Problems with my clutch and brakes

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Goodmorning. as of a few days ago my car was giving me no problems whats so ever. But 2 things have happened since then. First one is that the clutch pedal is making a clicking noise every so often, always at the same spot too( right when I start pressing down and being almost at the floor) and it will only click when I push it in. Along with the clicking problem, the pedal has been feeling a little sloppy lately in the sense that I can put my foot under the pedal and lift it up another .5-1''. After I do this, when I press the pedal it goes back to where it was originally. Im going to try to bleed it and see if anything changes. The master cylinder,slave cylinder, clutch line, TOB, clutch, FW are all within 2 years old.

The next is a problem with my brakes. what is happening is that I am getting a spongy pedal up high but once I start to press down more, it gets really hard to push down. The brakes work but it just takes alot of force to make them work. The thing is, its not all the time that it happens. sometime after Pressing them hard to stop, the brakes are acting normal, then out of no where this happens again. Im going to bleed the brake along with the clutch and see what that can do. Im hoping that it isnt my brake Booster going since they seem to go for a pretty penny. Maybe its a sticking caliper? The Master cylinder along with the pads/rotors are somewhat new too, along with the SS lines.

Any help with this would be great. Im going to be doing some more digging once Im out of class later today. Just looking for some pointers to see where I can direct my attention to.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Figured id add something else that has been bothering me lately. My PS pump was ran dry for a while(fluid leaked through somewhere and I was on the highway for 4 hours before using the power steering again) and it was making a god awful noise. I put ATF in it and it quiets it down but all the AFT leaks right though the pump( im guessing through the bearings up front). I noticed that there is some metal in the screen in the res, Im hesitant in putting my new pump in because I dont want to mess it up. I was thinking that I would flush it and then install a filter on the pump and cycle it through a couple of times. then change the fluid and the filter and let it be. does that sound like a sound plan?

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Figured id update. Bled the clutch and now it makes no clicking noise whats so ever. When it was clicking, it was from the pedal and not the Throw out bearings.

As for the brakes, ive bled them 4-5 times now and no difference, the master cylinder is fairly new. Ive been bleeding them the normal way, someone press the brake then hold, crack the bleeder, once its to the floor close the bleeder and rinse and repeat. Starting from the furthest to closet bleeder to the master cylinder. I didnt let the res drop below Low. The brakes are really mooshy, 1-2 pumps to get them to actually work and then 3-4 for them to feel half way decent. Am i doing something wrong? Should I bench bleed the master cylinder? Remember that this happened randomly one night and have not works since. Thanks

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Figured Id add this. When Bleeding them, they felt great when the wheels were off. I started the car and it was rock solid. It felt like crap after I put the wheels on and have it on solid ground again. Could it be that there is air stuck in the caliper. After 2-3 pumps the brakes feel much better if not perfect.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
fixed the brake pressure problem just to have another. I pushed the pistons back in and put the caliper back on then bled. Some really dirty/dark fluid came out then clear fluid. Brake pressure has been great! now I get a bad shimmy in my wheel when I brake, i think I have a sticking pin. I was able to pivot the brake capliper but couldnt slide them off of the pin. Im looking at getting a reman caliper.