Problems with HKS tems.

xt32

Supra Junky
Mar 31, 2005
New Jersey
Ok so i finaly installed my hks tems unit. I connected it all up and i don't think it 's working right. first off, the buttons do not light up, not ever, even with the car lights on. i was thinking possible my ground is no good (just occured to me) , but will check that later, and i doubt it's no good because it kinda reacts to some inputs. second, the lights on the dash do not indicate what the controller is doing. soft works (displays one bar) and medium does not display two (still just displays one bar) hard displays the outer two bars and blinks them (not full three bars) kinda strange? is this normal? I have the smaller unit, not the full size, and the plug fist fine, and was told it will work with the surpa, even the dicrections confirm this from what i can read. the connector where the stock tems button goes, there is nothing that the hks tems controller hooks in to it is there? Which is to say just the ground and large plug that goes into the computer are the only connections? Cause i sure did'nt see any other wires.

thanks for any help.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Did you hook it up properly? It plugs in, yes, but are the wires the same?
Isn't that one for a Soarer? I have no real-world experience with the HKS unit... nor TEMS at all, now that I think of it...

Definitely check your grounds. If you're second-guessing yourself, you may have chosen an improper gnd.

EvoLuTioN

no-JZ Your Mom!
Mar 10, 2006
Bed
if I remember correctly, there should be a ground, small plug near the original TEMS controller, and then the two big plugs by the passenger side kick panel, it's 3:42 in the morning, but I don't recall reading that you hooked anything up in the original TEMS spot, so check that out.

xt32

Supra Junky
Mar 31, 2005
New Jersey
yeah i did'nt hook any thing up in the orginal tems location. should there be some thing? i did'nt notice any connection there. does any one else have the smaller version?

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
I had this exact same problem last week.

It turns out my 12 volt source was NOT powerful enough.

So what i did was plugged the 12 volt wire from the HKS controller into the old tems wire leading to the stock controller. I plugged it in the the one all the was to the left (orange, iirc).

And if that doesn't help, refer to my old problem thread!

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19963&highlight=hks+tems.

And im guessing you plugged it into the correct harness, the one by the passenger side kickpanel, right>? Make sure there in TIGHT

xt32

Supra Junky
Mar 31, 2005
New Jersey
what wires do you have to feed the power source into the hks unit? is this just for the led's to light up or the main power feed for the unit?

thanks.

xt32

Supra Junky
Mar 31, 2005
New Jersey
Ok, so I got it working. Keep in mind I have the smaller Unit for the Soarer or Supra. I will post pics of how I fitted it. Basicly I bought from toyota a coin box that was in place of the cars with out tems, and cut the bottom off and just shoved it in there, it fit like a gem. So anyways. On the harness that plugs between the factory harness, there where four extra wires that did not have any where to plug into (the harness is a direct fit, I just mean that on my car there are blanks where the Hks unit has wires) I believe it's a green wire, and green with yellow stripe, a yellow wire and a black with white stripe. The black with white stripe wire needs a positive connection when you turn the car on, I got it from the stock tems contorller feed hear the shifter, you can use basicly anything, that was easest for me (i already have stuff coming off of the cig and other stuff so i did'nt want to over load anything). And thats it! It works great.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
I cut a hole inbetween the shifter and radio!

Sits there perfectly!

Congrats, and i havn't really tried it too much yet, but it really helps!