Problems with dropping in motor?

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Anyone else have issues with getting a motor back in an '87? Finally finished my build (haven't updated in a little while) and I've been prying on the chassis mount over and over to get the mount on the motor to line up. Any tricks? It's driving me insane :aigo:

-Chris

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
My motor didnt land in the mounts initally.

Then Nashman used his Yeti like strength, picked it up, and dropped it in the mounts.

boosting185

Feb 27, 2007
New York
what year motor is it...i dont know if thats any difference....i always thought 87 motor mounts are different from 89-92..or is it the same?

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I took the mounts off of the motor that was in it before and replaced them onto the new motor I have. I have a hoist set on the last hole (1/2 ton) so it reaches farthest into the bay. I think its just a problem of being able to wiggle it into the mounts. Did you mean to loosen the mounts on the motor? The chassis mount bolts will not budge at all, so I'll try loosening the 8 bolts to the block tonight. Thanks!

-Chris

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I had a similar problem.
The engine would get close but it appeared as if the motor was just not going back far enough for the mounts to fall into place.

I was able to lower the engine so the motor has some of its weight on the mounts but still supported by the lift.

I then put a rope on the end of the transmission and pulled the rope from behind the car. The engine then rocked back and slipped into the mounts.

The trans was also supported by a jack to bring it up and level.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
I just lowered my car in at an angle til it stoped then repositioned the hoist til it would lift the engine level then took weight off the engine and pop in it went into the tranny and all. atatched the bolts and goodies and drove it out the garage two days later. (first time lol)

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Thanks guys, finally got it in last night after about 10 minutes..go figure. Just needed a good long pry bar to align the mounts. Most of my motor is put together now, but I won't have time to work on it much so hopefully a week from tomorrow I can drive it for the first time!!

-Chris