Price for a 2jz?

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
So I have the 7m n/a and wanna go 2jz. I've been looking for awhile on and off. So I was looking on ebay for a 2jz and there all like 2 grand!! Is this a normal price for a 2jz or are they just a bunch or ebay jerks? I want a 2jz but cant afford to pay 2 grand...gosh I bought the car for 3. There was one 2jz for like a thousand but when I read the post it was a 2jz non-turbo...I was like wtf!! I never even heard of a n/a jz before. I could get it but the only reason why I want the 2jz is because I wanna go turbo. I was just wondering what you all thought about it. Maybe Im crazy for trying to find a 2jz for under 2 grand but I thought they would be cheaper.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
LOL, yea umm, thats just for the engine. You might want to read up on the total cost. I'm at around 10k for just stock twins.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
the noob is strong in this one...

dead cell is right, 10 grand for stock twins and maybe a couple other mods but that about it.

if you are really considering about doing a swap for that much your better off buying a car for the same amount and itll have more upgrades.

i bought my car for 8 grand. its a 92 black on black with an aristo 2jzgte. single t-70 ebay turbo. had safc II installed. didnt work but a trouble shooting did the job.

ed.d.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
yeah. when i blew my first motor because of rodknock i priced out how i would swap in a 2jz. it was around 7k with me doing all the work. and some must have goodies. like a single set up. i'm sticking with the 7m for now. it still packs a punch. and they're sorta growing on me(yes they're, all three of them). even though the 2jz has insane power. not much of a 1jz fan. i look at it this way. if you go jz you might as well go with the badest motor toyota has ever made.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
D34DC311;1114230 said:
LOL, yea umm, thats just for the engine. You might want to read up on the total cost. I'm at around 10k for just stock twins.
Wow thats extreme.

A realistic number is 5k for a 2jz swap.

2000-2500 for the engine
400 for the bellhousing
350 for the flywheel
600 for the clutch
400 for gasket set
150 for waterpump
100 for timing belt stuff (belt & tensioner)
150 for motor mounts
250 for a dp
and some sort of intercooler (you decide on that, stock 1jz setup for 250, or custom up to 2500)

Thats a rough estimate off the top of my head.

I had maybe 10k total into my old 2jz swapped car, that was usdm twins, cams, injectors, aem ems, hks coilovers, wheels etc..

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
I have about 18-19K into mine (will not add it up, its depressing LOL). To do a 2jz swap right you are looking at an easy 5K for all stock or mostly stock. From the sounds of it you would be better off getting a 7M-GTE and doing that swap, much cheaper.

jeremy

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
tissimo;1114275 said:
Wow thats extreme.

A realistic number is 5k for a 2jz swap.

2000-2500 for the engine
400 for the bellhousing
350 for the flywheel
600 for the clutch
400 for gasket set
150 for waterpump
100 for timing belt stuff (belt & tensioner)
150 for motor mounts
250 for a dp
and some sort of intercooler (you decide on that, stock 1jz setup for 250, or custom up to 2500)

Thats a rough estimate off the top of my head.

I had maybe 10k total into my old 2jz swapped car, that was usdm twins, cams, injectors, aem ems, hks coilovers, wheels etc..

Yea for all that sure...but your forgeting all the little bitty shit you need. hoses, fluids, bolts, brackets, coolers etc. its not cheap was my point.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
im surprised no one metioned the he didnt know there was a 2jz n/a or 2jz-ge to be P.C. but anyhow, didnt you know there are non-turbo MKIV? anyway to help you out with the engine codes for the MKIII its 7M-GE (non-turbo), 7M-GTE (turbo) and 1JZ-GE, 1JZ-GTE/GTTE. MKIV 2JZ-GE, 2JZ-GTE/GTTE. In the 1j and 2j motors... one T = single turbo, two T's = twin turbo... figured that might help you depending on if you want to go big single or twin.

all it is is time and money.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
shenronzero;1114315 said:
In the 1j and 2j motors... one T = single turbo, two T's = twin turbo... figured that might help you depending on if you want to go big single or twin.

all it is is time and money.

I don't think that is correct. People just did the whole 2 T thing. It has always been jzgte.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
You could always do a 2JZ NA-T setup also, not really any differences big enough to warrant a GTE swap, my friend jesse (hes a member here JMCBOOST) did a setup like scott on here did. He bought a 2JZGE with like 70k on it for 700 dollars then he got a MHG, did a basic rebuild, added some other key components and is going single turbo with a stinger engine management system, hes at around 4 to 5k but that includes a tranny rebuild, new clutch, intercooler, turbo, one off intake manifold, IC piping, wastegate, downpipe, stinger, injectors, pump, FPR, etc etc

Just something to think about if ya want a 2jz but can't afford 10k for a 400hp setup

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
just buy a 1jz for now and later down the road if you ever make enough power to run some bearings and get a knock put a 2j bottom on it and call it a day the only mod you need to do that is a small spot weld on the bottom of the tensioner its self and the 1j has a better head anyways it doesn't lean out cyl 5 and 6 like the 2j head

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
D34DC311;1114326 said:
I don't think that is correct. People just did the whole 2 T thing. It has always been jzgte.

i could have sworn ive seen it like that but i could be wrong. however it is a good way to be able to tell the turbo setup... guess ill have to do some digging

Edit: yeah looks like i was wrong, thanks D34C311 for the correction... better to be correct than wrong :biglaugh:

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
D34DC311;1114326 said:

Correct. Also for the A70 chassis there were the 1GGTE motors(2.0 liter twin turbo). ;)

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Swaps are not cheap or easy by any means. I think your best bet is to learn more about the car and set some realistic goals for yourself. Money usually is the limiting factor but the amount of time and frustration that can go into the swap can overwhelm a lot of people.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
shenronzero;1114339 said:
i could have sworn ive seen it like that but i could be wrong. however it is a good way to be able to tell the turbo setup... guess ill have to do some digging

Edit: yeah looks like i was wrong, thanks D34C311 for the correction... better to be correct than wrong :biglaugh:

LOL, its ok. "BECAUSE KNOWLEDGE IS POWER"! :biglaugh:

lumpy;1114350 said:
Correct. Also for the A70 chassis there were the 1GGTE motors(2.0 liter twin turbo). ;)

ahh the unreped 1g :p

tlo86;1114611 said:
if 2000 is too much money you are doing a swap too soon :p

This is the truth.

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
well looks like im not going that path for awhile. ummm maybe buy a parts car with the 2jz in it? then switch. or buy lotto tickets and till I win then buy the 2jz.:biglaugh: well guess i will just keep up the ol 7m and keep up the body and other little things

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
10secdream;1114787 said:
Swaps are not... easy by any means.......the amount of time and frustration that can go into the swap can overwhelm a lot of people.

yes, yes it can, that is the truth, alot of lil things come up, and things you have to work out when pulling and changin motors. Alot of troubleshooting as well if it decides that it doesnt want to start.