Preventative maintenance, need some pointers.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
My '89 turbo has been sitting since May. I drove it for a few days during Thanksgiving and for a bit during Christmas, during which the clutch pedal went soft and I couldn't switch gears. I'm sure it's the slave.

In April I will need to drive it from Ohio to South Carolina, a 10 hour drive. It needs some preventative maintenance for sure. I had to swap in a JDM replacement motor a few months before I left, and it ran just fine. New timing belt and accessory belts, a few things here and there. What all should I do to ensure I can make it down there/have a more reliable car? The only window that I have will be two weeks before the journey, and it's highly possible I will need to drive it during those two weeks as well.

So far the list is new oil and filter, new coolant, and check out the hoses to see which ones might be too hard or bulging. What else do I need to do?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
If you're replacing the slave replace the master at the same time.

Belts and hoses are definitely the main things to check. Look for oil in the valley and replace the valve cover gaskets if needed. For a 10 hour drive a fresh alignment may be in order as well.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
The master was replaced recently. The only reason why I didn't do both at the same time was because the parts store kept giving me the wrong slave cylinder, so I just said fuck it since the master fixed the problem I was having.

Besides an alignment, is there anything to do that isn't belt/hose related?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Check for play in tie rods and wheel bearings. You already mentioned the big items. If it gets you around town without any trouble you should be ok on the highway. Occasionally odd overheating issues that don't surface in to/from work/school/mall can pop up after 45 minutes on the highway but the 7M normally lets you know around town.

I've taken mine on a few 8 hour trips and a bunch of 2-4 hour trips without issue. The only times I've ever been stranded were from blown hoses. One I replaced with some spare hose I had with me and the other was the 90* hose under the stat that everyone hates so I had it towed the 5 miles back home.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Since the swap I can't remember having any problems, but it's been a while. I did have to do a ~2 hour drive once, and was scared shitless that something was going to pop. I'm just worried that something will eventually give and an inopportune time, as is the typical case with Supras.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
^That's why I replaced all my hoses with brand new gates hoses.

My friend refused to replace the hoses due to lack of funds, 3 months later he had the little elbow behind the water pump blow. Shortly after that the one on the back of the head went too.

Well worth the 300 bucks roughly IMO.

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
check fan clutch, oil level, coolant level. tire pressure. check the little hoses around intake manifold, those are a bitch if they blow on the highway. :/