Pressure plate exploded, clutch options?

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Poodles;1065954 said:
As per-usual, the cheap side of MKIII owners is showing...

Spending $10K on a fully built engine only to never get the power to the ground, or using a clutch that gives you crankwalk and destroys your investment is a foolish move.

Ok... so not going multi-disc is 'cheaping out' now? I never said this was permanent, I am just looking for a temporary solution to my current situation. I know that I will be paying more in the long run by getting a setup and then replacing it, but sometimes that is better than trying to build a complete "elite" supra. The simple fact is that I am in college and am just about done. I want to not have to worry about money through college, thus I don't buy the top of the line, pure performance items. This build is certainly not my long term setup, it was meant to be the setup that keeps me sane enough through college and doesn't break the bank. Once I'm out of college and using my engineering degree, I'll be able to put together another build that will blow this one away.

Besides, for the power levels that I will be at, shouldn't I be able to run the stock PP with the sprung 6 puck disc (300-400hp)? As for the crank walk, that is why I am asking about clutch combos and experience on a supra specific community forum focused on helping each other out rather than replying with "you're so dumb to do that" replies.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired of seeing more and more elitist posts about how everyone should only run the best of the best parts and anyone who doesn't is the "typical cheap mkIII owner".

So... Does anyone have any actual experience/info/links to backup that the stock PP / 6 puck combo would be a horrible decision and that I could be completely wasting my time?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If you're going to stop drag racing it, nearly anything will be fine.

My main point being it can be SERIOUSLY dangerous if you're blowing clutches apart. Go look at pics of flywheel failures and see how bad they can be.

As a temporary solution to get you buy (without expecting too much, like abuse from dragracing), as stock PP will work fine.

Also, the comment wasn't really aimed at you, but for people with more power but having the same issues.

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
Ok as to answer your question I have run a 6 puck with a stock pp (XTD) and the fidanza FW Ive run two in the past witht the same outcome during drag racing Ive slipped them both yes I was cheap MK3 owner ya think ya spend 300$ a pop x2 600 a few extra bucks ya can have a decent clutch check my previous post Ive been running this setup for 3 years minimal drag racing and could not be happier I would not go back to the fidanza FW though as far a twin disk there are more important things in my life right now to spend life 1000$ish on.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Yeah, I wont be seeing over 400 for a little while (a year or two, which will be when I graduate / get a real job) and I already have the 6 puck in good condition. Also, I probably wont be drag racing it at all (maybe once a year), it just happened to be the first trip out to the strip with that setup that exploded my PP. I have a garage and another daily driver, so I wouldn't mind doing the extra labor to install another clutch kit later on when the stock PP and 6 puck become a problem.

Sorry that I mistook your post Poodles.

Also, lintlars: why would you not go with the fidanza FW again? Not worth it, better ones out there, bad experience? Edit: I guess welding problems, what clutch compound were you using when it welded?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IMHO a lightweight flywheel and a grabby clutch just makes the clutch that much harder to be smooth with...

Also, about 500 lb/ft of torque is where I'd go multiplate, or whenever my current clutch slips...

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
I would not use any AL FW its to grabby for sreet driving which is 99% of what my Supra sees for the gains to me its not worth the poor drivablity, and I was using the feramic full face disk I am currently using the 6 puck now of the same compound.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
TaSe;1067631 said:
any pics of the destructed PP? i'm curious to see what an exploded PP looks like

Original thread about the situation:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69523

The first two pics are of mine (the PP isn't showing the damage on that side). The other pics down a few posts are another guy's. Mine was a little less drastic on the bell housing, but exactly the same thing on the pressure plate. Basically the strapping on the PP just gives out and shreds everything up.

Cale

Jan 6, 2008
Ängelholm, Sweden
my southbend pressure plate broked but not the same way as this.
after that i ordered the ACT extreme 6puck unsprung.. and i can just tell you thats its a awesome clutch! and its launching the car off without a problem at 473 ft lbs torque that i got on the dyno.
i recommend this (excuse my bad english)