Prep for storage

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
So Im getting ready to store the Supra for the winter. Michigan is hard on the old cars. So I really dont know what to do, but my friend and his dad are going with me and helping me. Im going to pick up a bottle of fuel stabelizer and get a wash,but really dont know what else. My friend suggested me to "smoke" it out. not really sure what he means but he says you pour some "mystery" stuff in the motor to keep all the metal in the block from rusting. sounds good but not sure. I will take all suggestions. thanks

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
I guess the stuff is called "mystery oil"..dont know anything about it. But also im storing it on concrete and wanna know if i should lay something down to keep water out from under it when the ground sweats.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
-Full tank of gas with the fuel stabilizer
-Stuff the exhaust with a rag or something to keep mice out
-Wash + Wax
-Car cover
-Disconnect and Remove the battery

Wisconsin winters are hard on old cars too:3d_frown:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
My winter preparations for the Supras typically consist of...

Sitting in a heated Garage. (This helps a lot. ;))

Start once every other day for a few minutes.

......That's really about it. :)

Jeff

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
:3d_frown:yeah i know..i guess i forgot. But to my defence the main reason i made this thread was to find out what "mystery oil" is.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
87M-GTE;1179260 said:
-Full tank of gas with the fuel stabilizer
-Stuff the exhaust with a rag or something to keep mice out
-Wash + Wax
-Car cover
-Disconnect and Remove the battery

Wisconsin winters are hard on old cars too:3d_frown:

exactly, except i dont like providing nesting materials i tape it off with duct tape. and i leave mouse poison under the hood and inside the car. i dont get to wash mine this year as the roads are already nasty and i gotta drive mine 50 miles to store it(very poor planning on my part...sorry supra gods)

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
what do people think about the engine oil. my car has about 700 miles on its recent Castrol 0W-30 oil change and it will end up sitting all winter with it. Should I change it again in spring when i take the car out or will it be fine. I would think it might have some condensation in it but that should burn off during the first long drive and the oil should be fine. ideas? I just dont want to spend 50-60 dollars to change oil that is fine...

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
supradjza80;1180128 said:
what do people think about the engine oil. my car has about 700 miles on its recent Castrol 0W-30 oil change and it will end up sitting all winter with it. Should I change it again in spring when i take the car out or will it be fine. I would think it might have some condensation in it but that should burn off during the first long drive and the oil should be fine. ideas? I just dont want to spend 50-60 dollars to change oil that is fine...

change the oil the day you park it. if you change the oil in spring and think ahh new oil, the old oil has allready done its damage over the winter.

50-60bucks for castrol?? you must mean synthetic?