prep for new head & mhg

myfst89turbo

Mar 30, 2005
southern md
I have a build bottom end with a low ra, back when i had it build about 2k miles ago. but long story short sold the block but i have it back now and it has an oem head gasket on it. i now have a new head that is ported and all that other good stuff should i have the block re decked again or a good prep will get it where i need to be for a MHG. im going to be running the hks 2.0 stopper

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
You want 30RA or less. I think a smaller number equals smoother surface. The smoother the better. You want it to be like a mirror. If it got decked properly the first time then I would clean it carefully to get the Toyota gasket off.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
My head was pretty shiny, almost reflective. But you could still see the machining marks.
The block was no where near reflective, and you could see the machining marks, but my MHG still sealed perfectly fine (Cometic/titan here)

You're never going to get a mirror like surface from machining. To get a mirror then you need to lap it. I think it's completely unnecessary.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Also you can use a machinist's straight edge to check your block and make sure it is perfectly flat. But I kinda doubt that the previous owner managed to fudge up the newly machined surface.