Power Window Help

Jarvis

May 14, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
So I bought my '91 Turbo, and the guy I bought it from told me that the power windows were a little sketchy. He said that they would roll up/down after the car warmed up for a while. I took it home and it seemed like he was right. However lately they will not do anything, even after running the car for about a half hour. I changed out the door switches on both sides from my parts '89, and still nothing. The lights on the driver's side switches (pictured here) will light up, but once you hit the switch the IMG_0864.JPGlight goes out and the windows do nothing. Right now they are stuck in the down position, so I'd like to hear if anyone has any advice on how to fix this problem. Thanks!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Pull the door panel off and put power and ground to the motor.

Connector off and on motor side. There's 2 pins. Put power to one and ground to the other. If nothing happens flip them around. If still nothing happens then the motor is shot.

Jarvis

May 14, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
I'll try that tomorrow. However, I failed to mention that the switch on the passenger side does not work as well, and the window is also stuck in the down position. Could this be a motor problem as well?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The passenger side switch is well known for oxidation, and when it does, neither switch will make the window move. Basically you clean it up and it's all good.

However, if the driver's side is also not working, that's generally something else.

Step 1. The power windows and seats get power through a circuit breaker in the driver's kick panel. How is your seat working? Personally, I'd say the likelihood of losing both power window motors at the same time is very very low. I'd look for power issues first.

If your windows are tripping the breaker though, then they're drawing too much power. Reset the breaker and see if the switches light up again.

If so, then take the door panels off, and check that the window tracks and gears are properly lubricated.

Jarvis

May 14, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
Dan_Gyoba, thanks for the response. I've cleaned the switches and still the same problem. I know the tracks and gears are good b/c the windows worked for a while.

The power seat is working fine, and I seriously doubt that both power motors are going out. I'll check the breakers next. Thanks!