power steering

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
so i took my car out today and i was backing up out of a driveway and had the wheel turned all the way to the right. when the front tires came off the driveway ledge there was a loud pop from the front end. i get home and power steering fluid is leaking rather steadily. its too hot for me to look around right now but i notice that my lower intercooler pipe is rubbing a little on a dampner of some kind on the rack and pinion. what busted to start the leak?

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
ok so i just looked to see if i could find what exactly was leaking. ps fluid is collecting on my lower radiator hose then dripping off. past that i can't see anything due to things being in the way. when i put the motor in i could not get the ps pump support arm to fit on due to the vacuum source being turned the wrong way. so i do not have that support on there. i wonder if that not being there caused something to break with the wheel turn all the way to one side. any input?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The steering knuckles have these plastic caps on the back of them that hit a bump stop on the control arm when you are all the way at lock. They tend to break, wear out, or fall off with time, and if they are missing whenever you go over a bump at full lock it will make all kinds of popping and cracking noises as the knub is metal on metal. The plastic caps are cheap and easy to replace, sounds like yours might be missing on one side, and if it does it when you turn it to the right, it would be the right front wheel you would want to check

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
No point in guessing, as you would have to check to confirm. Check it out properly. Get it up on stands if you need to, remove what's in the way. Use a an inspection lens even.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
the high pressure hose is leaking. it seems that right where the metal part is crimped to the rubber hose is where its coming from. i drained my ps fluid today and when i had it at full lock it didn't pop or anything. i'm ordering a stainless braided ps line from driftmotion today.