power steering rack rebuild help

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Tie rods connect to the knuckle, not the lower control arm...

Anyways, if you're good at hammer control you can loosen the castle nut on the tie rod end, then carefully strike the knuckle where the tapered shaft of the outer tie rod end passes through it. Usually takes 4-5 firm strikes to knock it loose. The thing to be careful of is to not hit the threads, whiuch would destroy them- this is why I suggest loosening the castle nut, and not removing it. That way it gives you a little more forgiveness if you miss.

The SST is a press that uses slow, steady force to pop the tapered shaft out of the knuckle. It is not a pickle fork- nobody should be using a pickle fork on a Supra...nobody.

Edit: JDMFreak, unless they explicitly say that they do not want to save any parts, I never, ever suggest a pickle fork- there are far better ways to disconnect tapered joint connections without utterly destroying the parts involved. I hate that those damned things were ever created, way too much money has been wasted on good parts that have been destroyed by them :(

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I dont remember what sst stands for ... special supra tool?? lol but it just presses the tierod out without damaging the rubber like a fork tends to do

Sent from my C771

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
SST= Special Service Tool

The one for disconnecting ball joints/tie rod ends/etc is a beefed up C-clamp on steriods ;)

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
toyotanos;1824305 said:
Tie rods connect to the knuckle, not the lower control arm...

Anyways, if you're good at hammer control you can loosen the castle nut on the tie rod end, then carefully strike the knuckle where the tapered shaft of the outer tie rod end passes through it. Usually takes 4-5 firm strikes to knock it loose. The thing to be careful of is to not hit the threads, whiuch would destroy them- this is why I suggest loosening the castle nut, and not removing it. That way it gives you a little more forgiveness if you miss.

The SST is a press that uses slow, steady force to pop the tapered shaft out of the knuckle. It is not a pickle fork- nobody should be using a pickle fork on a Supra...nobody.

Edit: JDMFreak, unless they explicitly say that they do not want to save any parts, I never, ever suggest a pickle fork- there are far better ways to disconnect tapered joint connections without utterly destroying the parts involved. I hate that those damned things were ever created, way too much money has been wasted on good parts that have been destroyed by them :(

Thanks for correcting me... I until this post I didn't know here was such a tool lol so I always replaced tierod if I took them off

Sent from my C771

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
No worries, I've found that lots of people have never heard of/tried any other method of removing them aside from those forks :(

There are certain situations where the fork makes sense (very low accessibility) but I find it to be a personal challenge to figure out ways to not use them when others say its not possible. Haven't been beat yet (helps that I work on 98% toyotas) :D

suprakidd

Feb 11, 2011
Glendale, Arizona, United States
thank you guys a million!! :)

and toyotanos ahhhh lol i knew they were on the knuckle, just couldnt find the word! thank you for correcting me, keeping us supra noobs on track one member at a time!

can i pm you if i need further instruction?

Last edited:

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Ha, you guys are funny- I'm no different than you. All I do is work at a dealer, nothing special about me (really) ;)

No need for PM instructions, just post in this thread. If I don't respond quickly, then you can shoot me a PM directing me towards whatever thread needs help. I like to share what I know with everyone, because I bet there are others with the same questions :D

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Whats the problem with pickle forks ??? The only time I have had to remove tie rod ends I replaced them... they are pretty cheap..... I have never had one damage anything else???

Sent from my C771

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Its the way a pickle fork works. It applies pressure to the joint in a way that would tear 90% of toyota ball joint/tie rod end boots, and since he doesn't need to replace the tie rod end, it would be an uneeded cost. (as long as the jount wasn't already worn)

As far as price, I look at an OEM parts' cost when contemplating destroying something. Most aftermarket parts can save you a little money, but in general the quality just isn't there (IMO). If a stock part is still good and serviceable on my car, there's no reason to replace it. If it's damaged, I try to check and see if there's an upgrade part available. If there's not, I order an OEM part to replace my OEM part. That's just the way I operate :)

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Why do you have to remove the tie rod ends anyway? Why cant you just loosen the clamp where the inner tie rod threads into the outer and then just rotate the inner rod until it unscrews all the way out of the outer tie rod? Will this damage the rack?

I know you rotate the inner rod to adjust toe but I don't know if rotating it to the point to where it completely unthreads from the outer rod will mess up a seal inside the rack or something.

Last edited: