Power Steering Pump Acting up, Looking for answers

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Well it might be that they are just heat damaged over time. If its 54 degrees outside the right now, over the years it pobably was hotter than that. and if power steering system has no cooler the fluid will still get hot enough to make the damage. I just hope i'm not too late to put a cooler on my car, and i hope you guys fix it. As far as i know Driftmotion used to send power sterring pumps for rebuilding you might wanna check into that if you don't figure out the problem on your own. good luck.

Last edited:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
viperkillertt;965501 said:
Too Hot? It is 54 degrees outside and i hadnt driven her in a week. I dont think hot could be the problem

Didn't know your regions tempature, but fluid changing colors is a sign of being overheated. Besides, running the car in the best conditions can heat the PS steering system to the point of failure if it's not operating 100% . Good luck.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
well if you do a complete flush and its still making noise at the pump your pump is going - exact symptoms i have run into before :(

if you want to buy another pump i have an extra

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Zumtizzle;965531 said:
Dextron III doesn't play well with DEX II or DEX IV.

I think we found what "burnt out" our pumps.

Mine was burnt out by PS fluid.

Really? well that explains it! My pump whines and has greyish liquid too. Ever since I put in DEX-III. That's with two power steering coolers.

It's a shame I sold my spare (almost new) pump.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Well, I got my replacement pump from tlo86 (thanks again!), got it installed.. and no more noise! I also talked to toyota, and they said dex III is okay to use in the rack, but he wouldn't go with anything else (just dex 2 or 3). Man, its good to not hear that whine.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
speed;979098 said:
Well, I got my replacement pump from tlo86 (thanks again!), got it installed.. and no more noise! I also talked to toyota, and they said dex III is okay to use in the rack, but he wouldn't go with anything else (just dex 2 or 3). Man, its good to not hear that whine.

glad i could help :D

Hey guys, i think i figured out my issue also.
The hose was kinked. I couldn't believe it. I don't know how it was getting any fluid at all. It was totally kinked. Damn PS lines! My line is routed across the engine bay and it comes to that bad angle. Well, it caused a kink. So i added fluids about 3 weeks ago and then i fixed the kink. I only heard that horrible sound that one time, but i don't think it will come back now. The steering has been fine since that day.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
looked at your build thread, i thought you meant across the engine towards the turbo area lol