Power Steering noisy with no load

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
Hey guys, so ive had an issue come up recently and it is the power steering pump on my 2JZ Mk3. The pump works fine just as it should but just recently it started making a buzzing/whining noise when there is no load on it, as in sitting there with no hands on the wheel. As soon as you turn and the pump is working to provide pressure the noise goes away. Anyone have this problem? Fluid level is norrmal, not low, and is also the recommended ATF. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Sounds like you got some air in the lines.

Jack up the front end of the car and turn the wheels from lock to lock 3 times then check the fluid level again. It shouldn't foam either.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
jetjock;2014830 said:
Suction screen...

I was thinking this too. You may just want to flush the entire system and clean the reservoir if that hasn't been done in a while and then bleed it afterwards.

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
jetjock;2014830 said:
Suction screen...

Silver MK3;2014844 said:
I was thinking this too. You may just want to flush the entire system and clean the reservoir if that hasn't been done in a while and then bleed it afterwards.

Thanks for all the replies,
The systems only been up and running for about two months now, just got the car back running so fluid should be clean (atleast for the most part, the high pressure and return lines are new so any old fluid would have been left over in the rack, but even that should hae been clean from prior years of driving my baby) anyways ill try and check out the suction screen and will report back.

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
So today I finally was able to go take out the reservoir and I cleaned it out thoroughly, ran new fluid and flushed it by topping up the tank and letting the old fluid run out the return line into a container, however didn't help at all :( I guess ill go grab a junk yard pump and throw it on. It is strange to me that the pump makes noise with no load and then when you turn it gets quiet. Anyone ever have a problem like this?

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
Okay fixed the problem and feel really stupid, anyways. Went to the junkyard and picked up a new pump and then went to install. Decided id break the pulley nut loose on the pump on my car while I had the assistance of the belt (Its powder coated so I wanted to keep that pulley) and I noticed the nut was not even tight. Tightened the nut and bam problem solved. Strange thing is that I took the belt off when I bled the system and free spun the pump an wiggled it hard and it had no apparent looseness. Anyways tightening the pulley fixed the problem! thanks for the help guys :)

PS anyone need a JZ power steering pump haha