Power steering help

Josh913

Apr 5, 2005
Charlotte,NC
Hey, My friend is having issues with his power steering. Symptoms are as follows:

1. Reservoir cap is leaking

2. When cap is removed the fluid is super foamy and if you leave the wheel turned completely either way fluid constantly overflows.

3. Very hard to turn the wheel both ways.

I don't see any other leaks other than the cap.

I was told that a bad pump can cause the fluid to bubble up and get foamy that way, does that sound right?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Any whining? The reservoir has a filter screen at the bottom that tend to get clogged up. Can back flush it with solvent to clean it out.

Sounds like the pump is getting starved and cavitating causing the foam and overflow.

Josh913

Apr 5, 2005
Charlotte,NC
Yes, I forgot to mention that. There is definitely some whining. I'll pull that off and clean the screen next.

Poodles;1830982 said:
Any whining? The reservoir has a filter screen at the bottom that tend to get clogged up. Can back flush it with solvent to clean it out.

Sounds like the pump is getting starved and cavitating causing the foam and overflow.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Some people just poke a hole in it. I don't recommend that since all that junk would just be going right into the pump and rack...

Josh913

Apr 5, 2005
Charlotte,NC
Ah ok, I'll def. just clean it out lol. Any suggestions on keeping the cap from leaking other than buying a new one? I assume he'll have to get one at the dealer. Also if cleaning the screen doesn't solve the issue, would it be the pump itself?

Thanks for all your help!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Could be the pump, but more likely a leak or blockage.

Another thing, are you using power steering fluid or ATF in it? It requires ATF, power steering fluid will damage the system.

Josh913

Apr 5, 2005
Charlotte,NC
He's using power steering fluid, hopefully he hasn't damaged the system. Do you know off hand how to drain the system, and how much atf is needed to refill?

Josh913

Apr 5, 2005
Charlotte,NC
Alright we got it done, It turns out that the screen was clogged pretty good. I appreciate all the help, I would've never known there was a screen in the bottom of the reservoir! Lol.

Thanks again!