Power antenna, dual antenna or just the hatch glass antenna.

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
Hey guys i see a lot of wtb threads of power antennas, why dont people just use the hatch glass antenna?
Both my cars are jdm but have a second antenna thats on the hatch glass and seems too work really well. All i needed was a gm antenna adapter.
I was thinking of deleting the power antenna all together.
I have never seen a stock supra radio but im assuming it had plugs for both. Which aftermarket decks do not.
Does someone make a power antenna delete plug for these cars?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Stock does have plugs for both. On my aftermarket Pioneer DVD/NAV deck I tried the GM adapter but went back to the power antenna because the diversity didn't work as well. That said it depends on where you live. In BFE the glass usually won't cut it. Not that there's any BFE where you're from...

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I'm using the glass antenna and I find it works great. This is just my opinion but I think the antenna left retracted looks better than a plug would. If you were to fill the hole and paint I'd say that would look the best but it would mean you couldn't go back to the mast antenna (easily anyway). Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
On my most recent car, my power antenna was broken. I removed it, had the hole shaved, and switched to using the glass. It works about as well as several other of my "normal" cars without any sort of antenna change/modification.

On my previous Supra(s) with a working power antenna, my radio reception felt equivalent to having a broadcast tower strapped to the roof of my car.

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
haha i have never had the "broadcast tower" in working order on my cars instead it was always in the retracted position. Thanks for the input guys, hopefully it sheds some light too the people that never knew they had the option.