Power Antenna 89+

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
My antenna starts out by going up 3/4 of the way then makes a grinding noise and does not go up the remaining 1/4 (it will if I assist it). When I turn the radio off I hear the antenna motor running and nothing happens for the 1st 1/4 (which makes sense as its not all the way up) and then it catches and goes down the remaining 3/4 and settles as it should in the down position flush with the spoiler. Before I replace it I am wondering if lubricant will help fix the issue. Other than that it seems to work fine. What is the best type of lubricant for this? I was thinking some type of dry lubricant or graphite?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
My 87 Supra had the same problem. Tons of gunk, dirt and debris in the winding mechanism. I took it all apart, cleaned with brake cleaner and then greased everything inside with Super Lube synthetic grease before assembly. Just make sure you still have a clear drain path to your bottom drain port as well before assembly. Mine has been fine for about 2 years now.

Also on the antenna mass itself, once its fully extended you want to use a dry lubricant as dirt and debris will not stick to it as other lubricants will.

MichiganLC

Oct 30, 2015
Michigan
Keep it working if you can, I believe the masts have been discontinued. Mine is MIA and I haven't found a substitute yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
It's very easy. If you do not have the spoiler the you just have to

- unscrew top chrome ring. They make a special tool for this ( https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-640922-Antenna-Wrench/dp/B004KED7KW ) but I used channel locks with some fabric so I dont scratch the chrome finish.
- remove the drain tube
- unplug the single black antenna cable on antenna
- unplug wiring connector on the antenna relay box
- remove the 1 single bolt that is bolted to the lower antenna bracket to body (10mm)

then it will drop down and you can remove it.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I will check on the antenna I have removed from my 91 Supra I parted out and see again how the top is. I know the spoiler just has that plastic disc and the antenna is not connected to it at all but to the body underneath the spoiler I think there is that ring that holds it in place.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Ok thanks, I bought some dry lubricant yesterday so ill run the antenna up and down a few times today and hope that fixes it. If not I'll be taking it apart.

Update: So I just tried lubing it and still not dice. Looks like I'll be taking it apart.

Last edited:

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I removed the rear trunk trim pieces to make it easier to remove the antenna. At this point I have everything undone to remove the antenna except the metal ring holding it. Removing the ring requires removing the side spoiler piece. After looking at the two clips holding it from the underside I'm going to decide against removing it. The one clip closest to the rear of the car has some kind of caulk or FIPK on it and the other clip closest to the front of the car appears to be rubber but its rock hard. I fear I'm going to end up breaking the wing or clips. I'll revisit this when I eventually get the car repainted.

Does anyone know if this antenna motor is stock? There was definitely some rigging going on after looking at everything and there is no 10mm bolt holding it, only the metal ring in the spoiler. Can I take the black cover off of it and try and clean it out with it still in the car? Since I removed the trunk panels I have decent access to it.

Also, does the rubber seal ring for the antenna in the spoiler pull out from the top. If i could remove that I may be able to unscrew the metal ring holding the antenna without removing the spoiler.

20170701_150713.jpg

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
That antenna is not OEM, its aftermarket. With that antenna I don't think you can take it apart to clean it as most are heat sealed when the two plastic body pieces come together. It would almost be best to try to find a brand or part number on that unit and look for a replacement or a better option would be to find a used OEM antenna for a 3 piece spoiler.

No the rubber ring is bolted from underneath the spoiler and I would not recommend taking that off. The side piece of the spoiler is not hard to remove. Just remove the Phillips screws and with a slight lift it will come right off as the other mounting tabs are just a pop-in style.