Powder Coating

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Re: power coating

"powder coated"? I dont think that would work out so great. i would think that the coating may cause an imbalance, not to mention its not gonna stick to the rubber sections. but I could be wrong.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA

"powder coated"? I dont think that would work out so great. i would think that the coating may cause an imbalance, not to mention its not gonna stick to the rubber sections. but I could be wrong.

I was told that the heat would ruin the rubber, just wondering if someone has done it.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA

There are low temp powders available, they may not be as durable though I have only used it on one occasion and it was on a low wear part.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL

I have not heard of anyone power coating that part. I did mine in a few coats of VHT black high heat engine block paint and then a few clear coats with the same brand of paint. Its been holding up very nicely so far.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I did mine myself. yes it can be done. My powder is baked at 400* F for 10 minutes. I dont think i did it that high or long because afraid of the bonded rubber but its in the car and got about 200 miles on it, no issues yet lol

Its not the best idea to bring a bonded rubber component up and beyond its vulcanization point.

Rubber vulcanization temp vary widely but its typically around 300-350F.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I just bought a new pulley, and a spare. Looks great, haha.

I would avoid heating the pulley, it's not worth the risk, but that's just my opinion, it is not backed up by anything concrete beyond intuition.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm throwing my hat in the "nay" column as well, unless you have an aftermarket pulley that has no rubber. Worst case the rubber separates and the pulley works its way off or your timing goes all sorts of funky...

Hell ive powdecoated plastic before. Like i said i did mine but i don't recommend it if you are doing it the correct way. if your taking it somewhere to have it done, they probably wont do it anyways. Most commercial places will outgas the metal before or after blasting to make sure there are no contaminates to compromise the adhesion of the powder to the metal. Which is done at high heat and will definitely burn out the rubber in the balancer.