Post your audio setups!!

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Soon I will be buying a JL audio subwoofer and want to get a system setup but want to keep it clean and low profile. I am researching on what makes a good sub box a good box then work up some drawings that keeps the box below the back seats and does not take up much trunk space. I want to see what kind of setup you guys have. Also is a 600w amp good for 2 speakers and a sub?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I'm interested to see how you do this, and what other people have done. If I do this I would want it the same way as you "clean and low profile".

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am researching on sub boxes as I said and it seems like they are a lot more complex than I thought but not too difficult to do. I will be posting up or making a build thread when I get around to building one.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
I installed a touchscreen pioneer double din with the am to fm antenna adapter, so the antenna doesn't pop up anymore and make my car look like an rc car..

Also put 4" infinity reference speakers all around. Had the 6.5", but didn't know about the speaker pod adapters at the time, so I returned them and got all 4".

Those didn't have any bass whatsoever, so I built a box for a single 10" infinity reference sub. I did a lot of research, and built a pretty simple box.

I never took pictures and I can't remember the dimensions, but it fits perfectly below the targa when I store it. Did an angle for the back of the box to rest against the rear seats. Has over the minimum space internally. Built with 3/4 MDF, glue and a nail gun. Bought a giant roll of "outdoor carpet" from a hardware store and covered it. Actually turned out really nice. Nothing professional, but doesn't stand out or look like a best buy pop-up box.

I may have overdone it by hooking it up to an 1800 watt Kenwood amp with 0 gauge wiring, but I had this amp set up to 2- 12" kickers in a huge ported box in a previous vehicle, and this single 10" hits damn near as hard as they did. Perfect setup for me, and I love the reference series speakers. They all sound so clean and crisp, including the sub.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
The only thing I am worried about really is how I design the inside of the box because from what I have been seeing there is a certain design for clean bass and proper exhaust for the air something like this. I can figure out the height and such to fit under the targa and do some mock ups I just want the box to be the appropriate size and shape for a clean and booming bass also any tips on how to stop stuff from rattling?
buildup.png

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Optimal sub performance does indeed correlate to complex box design AND specific airspace, subs prefer an airspace "resistance". With a very large box or without a box at all the sub cone will travel freely and overextend. Too little of box the cone wont travel enough to make the sub efficient.

Theres sites out there that take your sub specs and create a box for it. If you want a clean and simple looking hatch id go with a covering panel.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I just realized I don't think I'd be able to mount the sub rear facing I think it would have to be facing upward to fit under the targa.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
My 89 Black Pearl Turbo:
http://www.joncjennings.com/ampsnsubs1.jpg
That's 3 JL audio 12w6s ran through a bridged a1200.2

My Doors each side was 2 6.5 MB quarts and 1 4 inch mid range with 1 inch tweeters in the door pods and panel. The crossovers for the 2 sets are in the armrests of the doors.
http://www.joncjennings.com/doorbuild1.jpg
http://www.joncjennings.com/89turbow6.jpg

My 85 Supra with the cover off my trunk setup:
That's 2 Kicker 15s, 4 8 inch mids, 2 4 inch mids and tweeters along with Polk front components and ADS mids.
http://www.joncjennings.com/85supra2.jpg