Possibly Ignition Switch?

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
Okay, regardless of what season it is, when I turn the key to the "START" position. Every once in a while it will be a short 5 second or so delay before it starts the car. However, there is no problem suggesting alternator, or battery, and when it does start up it starts up really smooth like it should. I'm being told it could be the Ignition Switch, but also remember reading something about a 30 Amp Relay Mod, and wondered if that had any bearing on the problem I'm receiving, or if that was something totally different? Now the only thing I haven't replaced yet is the Starter and the Ignition Switch. Both run around 50 or so dollars at my local Advanced Auto store, of which I have a commercial account with and probably get both for $65. Any thoughts would be well appreciated as usual.

Zer0

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
Davismj711;1276093 said:
If the 30 amp relay mod is not the answer, you will be glad you did it anyway.

Okay so the 30 amp relay mod does have something to do with the ignition of the car? I didn't read to far into it. I'll replace the sitch and the starter and then see about the 30 amp relay mod just cause you feel it's something i'll be happy i did anyways. Who knows maybe even with brand new parts it will still make a difference?

Zer0

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
zero

Here is the link to that mod.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76403&highlight=starter+relay

Keep in mind that this is considered a "Band-Aid" fix. As others have commented that it bypasses the diagnostic part of finding and reapairing the "Real" problem.

It is however a sound fix for a specific problem. It is also much easier on the wallet when it seems your just throwing parts at it currently.
For some wiring diagnosis is a fun quest. My brother had that uncanny ability, I can do it but find it tedious and time consuming.

You may not get a ton of replies on this subject since it has be beaten to death in here. Remember to search, and research all you can. Then decide what line of action your going to take.

Keep in mind that both the switch and startr are easy components to diagnose. Advance can chek the starter and a switch with a multi meter is a piece of cake to check yourself. It seems that from what I have read and experienced with this problem the fault is not a bad component, but instead poor continuity or voltage drop.

Good Luck ^^

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
Davismj711;1276495 said:
zero

Here is the link to that mod.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76403&highlight=starter+relay

Keep in mind that this is considered a "Band-Aid" fix. As others have commented that it bypasses the diagnostic part of finding and reapairing the "Real" problem.

It is however a sound fix for a specific problem. It is also much easier on the wallet when it seems your just throwing parts at it currently.
For some wiring diagnosis is a fun quest. My brother had that uncanny ability, I can do it but find it tedious and time consuming.

You may not get a ton of replies on this subject since it has be beaten to death in here. Remember to search, and research all you can. Then decide what line of action your going to take.

Keep in mind that both the switch and startr are easy components to diagnose. Advance can chek the starter and a switch with a multi meter is a piece of cake to check yourself. It seems that from what I have read and experienced with this problem the fault is not a bad component, but instead poor continuity or voltage drop.

Good Luck ^^

Excellent reply and thank you so much. I've going to throw those two parts at it because i got my commercial discount and the manager whom is a friend threw his special managers discount on top of it so I only paid 27.XX for both the starter and switch. I'll be putting them on this weekend coming up. if that don't work i'll observer the link you gave me and see if it's something i want to do or not. I have a new wiring harness for everything just have yet to take the hours to install it. after I do all this then i may consider the Band-aid fix.

Zer0

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I am having a similar issue with my ign switch possibly. By replacing the switch did you mean the tumbler/key porting or the switch/wiring behind it? What fixed your issue?

Edit: Tested ignition switch according to TRSM (page BE-15) and continuity is good. Out of ideas now.

Last edited: