Possible electrical short?

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Last night after changing my oil I noticed that the warning lights for the alternator not charging were on. I thought it might have been a fluke, seeing as how they shortly disappeared. Today I went to check my oil (7Mlol) and noticed that the wire that goes on the top/side of the alternator was fucking frying the shit. The plastic cover was melted through and the nut that holds the wire in place was crispy to the point that some of it chipped off. I started the car and the lights came on again but only for a few seconds. The nut/connector started to electrify when the lights were on, then it completely stopped. I noticed that it got somewhat loose, and I wonder if that could have been the fault? Could a not-so-good connection cause it to fry? I replaced the alternator fuse and the problem hasn't come back. I drove to work and back fine.

Pictures could be taken later tonight if needed.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it was constantly loseing a connection and then getting one and sparking then it could have melted it ya.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
hvyman;1771450 said:
If it was constantly loseing a connection and then getting one and sparking then it could have melted it ya.

What else could cause it? A bad ground? I checked the grounds and all of them were good. Head, firewall, block, etc.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Sounds like you got a short to ground somewhere.

but yeah worn or damaged wiring insulation can be causes of shorts. Active wires that is somehow incorrectly connected to earth can play a role as well.